Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time fly fishing

User Info Menu

First time fly fishing

I've always been intrigued by fly fishing. I've loved to fish since I was a kid but rarely have I ever seen anyone fly fishing here in Indiana. My hunting partner told me today that we have an opportunity to go to Montana next year to do some fly fishing and I decided I'd probably better not wait until I get there to try to get the swing of it. I stopped by Cabela's on my way home and bought their Prestige fly outfit which had everything I needed to get started. It wasn't cheap but it was less than the cost of some of the fly reels alone so I bought it. The quality seems pretty decent and I'm happy with the purchase at this point.

Came home, watched a couple videos and got after it in the creek across the road. There's definitely more to it than I had anticipated but I managed to get a few decent casts in and actually caught my first (and only so far) fly rod fish. I'm grateful it wasn't a creek chub but the species I was targeting. I'm looking forward to practicing and trying to master this technique. Hopefully Montana will work out next year.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

Great opportunity for trout in Montana. Hope you have a blast. Fly fishing can be a black hole for $. Have a plan when you shop for flies. Haven't had either of my rods out for too long.

Hardest thing for me to learn was to let the back cast load the rod b4 you start forward.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

just wait 'til you see the cost of waders/ boots or a guide to float.

not counting the technical stuff like...

4wt. rod for rainbows
    6/7 wt. for panfish
    8wt. for bass

and graphite or split-bamboo.

then fly lines floating...double-taper or flat? weight-forward.

It all has a fun somewhat steep learning curve.

but the experience will teach you & you may love it....

homes are expensive in Montana....almost as bad as Aspen CO

you may fall in love with the place,

I did for antelope mule deer pheasants & waterfowl.

good fishin
    Last edited by openwell; 08-11-2020 at 20:48. Reason: add text phone keybd
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

User Info Menu

It is addicting! Have fun!

User Info Menu

Maybe as much technique in casting as there is in shooting a hand gun and fly tying is like reloading. I think fly fishing can be as much fun, rewarding, frustrating, time consuming and expensive as hunting.

Expert

User Info Menu

My 16 year old son is really into his fly fishing... He recommends going to https://flymasters.com/ in Castleton on the corner of 82th and Allisonville.

They will get you set up.

Warning- You may spend some $$$.

User Info Menu

Just dont do what I did when I was a kid. On an early-career outing I had a pretty heavy popper on the line. I back cast and then somehow managed to bounce the heavy popper off the back of my damn head. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. I’m trying to avoid going all in on yet another expensive hobby, my budget can barely keep up with the handful of activities I’m already heavily invested in lol.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

Fly fishing doesn't have to mean an expensive trip out west or anything. You can have a helluva lotta fun with a small popper on a farm pond catching bluegill and bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Just dont do what I did when I was a kid. On an early-career outing I had a pretty heavy popper on the line. I back cast and then somehow managed to bounce the heavy popper off the back of my damn head. LOL
    At least you didn't get your grandpa in the ear, like somebody I know did...

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Fly fishing doesn't have to mean an expensive trip out west or anything. You can have a helluva lotta fun with a small popper on a farm pond catching bluegill and bass.
    Oh heck yes! Catching a mess of 'gills on a fly rod is a blast! And tasty, too!

Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast