• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've always been intrigued by fly fishing. I've loved to fish since I was a kid but rarely have I ever seen anyone fly fishing here in Indiana. My hunting partner told me today that we have an opportunity to go to Montana next year to do some fly fishing and I decided I'd probably better not wait until I get there to try to get the swing of it. I stopped by Cabela's on my way home and bought their Prestige fly outfit which had everything I needed to get started. It wasn't cheap but it was less than the cost of some of the fly reels alone so I bought it. The quality seems pretty decent and I'm happy with the purchase at this point.

Came home, watched a couple videos and got after it in the creek across the road. There's definitely more to it than I had anticipated but I managed to get a few decent casts in and actually caught my first (and only so far) fly rod fish. I'm grateful it wasn't a creek chub but the species I was targeting. I'm looking forward to practicing and trying to master this technique. Hopefully Montana will work out next year.
    EiappzQh.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Great opportunity for trout in Montana. Hope you have a blast. Fly fishing can be a black hole for $. Have a plan when you shop for flies. Haven't had either of my rods out for too long.

Hardest thing for me to learn was to let the back cast load the rod b4 you start forward.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    just wait 'til you see the cost of waders/ boots or a guide to float.

not counting the technical stuff like...

4wt. rod for rainbows
    6/7 wt. for panfish
    8wt. for bass

and graphite or split-bamboo.

then fly lines floating...double-taper or flat? weight-forward.

It all has a fun somewhat steep learning curve.

but the experience will teach you & you may love it....

homes are expensive in Montana....almost as bad as Aspen CO

you may fall in love with the place,

I did for antelope mule deer pheasants & waterfowl.

good fishin

Last edited:

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Maybe as much technique in casting as there is in shooting a hand gun and fly tying is like reloading. I think fly fishing can be as much fun, rewarding, frustrating, time consuming and expensive as hunting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just dont do what I did when I was a kid. On an early-career outing I had a pretty heavy popper on the line. I back cast and then somehow managed to bounce the heavy popper off the back of my damn head. LOL

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for all of the advice fellas. I’m trying to avoid going all in on yet another expensive hobby, my budget can barely keep up with the handful of activities I’m already heavily invested in lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fly fishing doesn't have to mean an expensive trip out west or anything. You can have a helluva lotta fun with a small popper on a farm pond catching bluegill and bass.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just dont do what I did when I was a kid. On an early-career outing I had a pretty heavy popper on the line. I back cast and then somehow managed to bounce the heavy popper off the back of my damn head. LOL

At least you didn't get your grandpa in the ear, like somebody I know did...:whistle:

Fly fishing doesn't have to mean an expensive trip out west or anything. You can have a helluva lotta fun with a small popper on a farm pond catching bluegill and bass.

Oh heck yes! Catching a mess of 'gills on a fly rod is a blast! And tasty, too!

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Some of the things I remember learning thought experience that might be of use to you...
    1) use your shoulder to drive the rod. You'll get a lot less fatigued.
    2) roll casting is worth the effort to master, especially if you'll be fishing covered mountain streams
    3) Wear eye protection, a collared shirt, and hat when you're starting to master your casting
    4) always look behind you when getting to a new spot...every time. You'll be dismayed at the time you spend trying to tear branches from trees/shrubs if you don't. When in doubt...roll cast.

I'm still an amateur but have found fly-fishing to be extremely rewarding. Suggest get a 4wt rig with a spider or small popper if you decide you like the sport and enjoy pond fishing around here.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another light-duty fly-fisher here. By no means an expert, but it can be a ton of fun. My FIL is/was the real deal. He used to make all his own rods and flies. I've got a lower-end Orvis rod/real, and a handful of flies from his collection.

My own pointers:
    - It is ALL about form. When I first started my wife, who has been fly fishing since she was little, could out-cast me for distance and accuracy. Easily. She is STILL better at roll casting than I am.
    - I'll second the roll-casting. Indiana has WAY too many trees to NOT learn.
    - I can't remember what it is called, but I use a cast that let's me "stack" the line overhead a bit, and get more forward distance without the huge back-cast.
    - I practice by using a hook-less fly and casting into a bucket in the back yard.
    - If you want real excitement, land a 40+ inch pike on a fairly light rod/real combo, without a steel leader. Bonus points for a barbless hook.

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    creek fishing

there are good spots on the westside such as Sugar Creek and Big Walnut as I wade these and have caught panfish as well as smallmouth. It is alot of fun for sure!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I've always been intrigued by fly fishing. I've loved to fish since I was a kid but rarely have I ever seen anyone fly fishing here in Indiana. My hunting partner told me today that we have an opportunity to go to Montana next year to do some fly fishing and I decided I'd probably better not wait until I get there to try to get the swing of it. I stopped by Cabela's on my way home and bought their Prestige fly outfit which had everything I needed to get started. It wasn't cheap but it was less than the cost of some of the fly reels alone so I bought it. The quality seems pretty decent and I'm happy with the purchase at this point.

Came home, watched a couple videos and got after it in the creek across the road. There's definitely more to it than I had anticipated but I managed to get a few decent casts in and actually caught my first (and only so far) fly rod fish. I'm grateful it wasn't a creek chub but the species I was targeting. I'm looking forward to practicing and trying to master this technique. Hopefully Montana will work out next year.
    EiappzQh.jpg

Did you make it on the trip?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I miss fly fishing with little poppers for bluegill. Never got the hang of wet flies though. I found a little break-down rod and reel a few years ago, but when I went to get line for it, everything had changed from when I used to fly fish back in the 70's. I always used a hollow line and it had a little barbed eyelet that would get inserted into the end of the hollow line to tie your leader to. I don't think they make those anymore (or hollow lines) from what I could tell.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I miss fly fishing with little poppers for bluegill. Never got the hang of wet flies though. I found a little break-down rod and reel a few years ago, but when I went to get line for it, everything had changed from when I used to fly fish back in the 70's. I always used a hollow line and it had a little barbed eyelet that would get inserted into the end of the hollow line to tie your leader to. I don't think they make those anymore (or hollow lines) from what I could tell.
    All the floating lines I've used are hollow, but the loop ends are way easier than using a barb and and tying on leader. I do still keep a couple of barbs in case somehow the loop gets broken.

Top Bottom