• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    My two boys (5/6) and I started backpacking in Manistee National Forest in Michigan, we've gone three times this summer.
    Besides Hoosier National Forest are there any other decent backpacking trails here in Indiana?

Thanks

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Knobstone trail is a good one. With boys that young, I'd recommend section hiking the trail over several visits. It's around 60 miles in total and makes for some interesting overnight visits.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/4224.htm

You could also consider the backcountry camping area at Shades. It's a short hike in to a nice camping area with pit toilets.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Morgan-Monroe State Park -Low Gap trail, I have hiked all the trails and we even did an overnight off one of the trails) the selected camp sights did retain water, so def need to check weather forecast if doing an overnighter.
    Turkey Run
    Versailles State Park

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I did part of the Techumseh Trail, in and out, 2 night, and it was very pleasant with just enough water that year in September.

We did the Knobstone later that year, had to stash water (which our driver helped us with) and had a good time but man was it work. They don’t call it the little AT for nothing, you are buying and selling all day long, might only be 2 or 3 hundred feet, but it’s up and down all day.

This year should be great with all this late rain.

edit to add; We did 45 miles of Pictured Rocks a couple years ago, and while Indiana is a totally different vibe, it’s still nice. But Michigan is special, in part because of how close it is and how many off road/overland forests you can camp in.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    There are two interconnecting loops on the Knobstone Trail that can be accessed from Delaney Creek Park ... the Delaney Creek loop and the Spurgeon Hollow loop. You can set up a base camp at the park and do the loops as a figure 8, two smaller loops, or 1 big outer loop.

Top Bottom