• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Calendar all filled in with opening and closing dates. Tuning up the compound and crossbow. Reloading some more 168 gr BTSP .308. Checking operation on the muzzleloader. Planning a sight-in trip to the range soon. Got my license bundle and my son's. Signed up for state park hunts early and late at Chain O Lakes with him and another buddy. Trying to make freezer space and maintain optimism. Setting aside the last weekend in September for the son's youth hunt. Landowner permission secured.

Now we wait.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm going to have to rely on a lot of luck this season it seems.
    I had a house fire in June and it has consumed most every minute of my free time trying to facilitate the rebuilding.
    I have not had a chance to visit my hunting property since May.

I hope to get one or two days scouting in before the season begins, but even that looks questionable.
    Luckily I have very productive hunting property, and my shoot house was constructed years ago.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hung some new stands and cleared lanes on my Michigan property. Saw a really nice 8 point and a big black bear. Got to my spot in Huntington County today and did some work. Gave the property owner a Ruger Wrangler for letting us hunt again. Had a nice visit. With deer like the one my little girl got there last year, giving him a pistol was cheap!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've been checking cameras and placing a few more, hopefully the ginseng thieves won't get any this year. Not seeing many deer as years past, but better than last year.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm going to have to rely on a lot of luck this season it seems.
    I had a house fire in June and it has consumed most every minute of my free time trying to facilitate the rebuilding.
    I have not had a chance to visit my hunting property since May.

I hope to get one or two days scouting in before the season begins, but even that looks questionable.
    Luckily I have very productive hunting property, and my shoot house was constructed years ago.

If you're concerned about your land getting lonely this season id be willing to go check in it from time to time :D

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I lost my lease this year and have been beating down the door of every place I can find. Tough going, seems like everyone already has family hunting, had a bad experience with other hunters, or is repulsed by the idea. The rest of the time, I've been trying to e-scout Mississinewa the best I can. But, a rough day in the woods beats a decent day at work, so I will have that!

Going to be an interesting year!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Have a baby due on Nov 7. Doubt I'll make it to the woods this year. I only hunt gun season so not much opportunity to go before the baby.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I’m in West Virginia right now on a bike trip with some friends and we have seen at least 12 doe and a handful of bucks. Found bear scat by a feeder on the cabin we are staying at. Awesome piece of land!! Of course they do nothing but fish and hunt too.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Put up a few more stands recently. Weeks vacation approved for mid November as always. Scouted area recently and seeing lots of good sign.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks.
    This crap might be why I've felt bad for so long (just got bad enough to need fix)
    Could be the start of a more enjoyable hunting season.
    Better to have it done now than end of october and screw up rut hunting.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Been scouting and squirrel hunting the last few weeks on public land... I don't DEER HUNT public lands, because there is a stand every 100 yards and I don't trust these yahoos... but I have been seeing a bunch of these jerks seting their stands up in blatantly un-ethical situations, like literally 20 steps from the edge of fenced off preserve boundaries with NO other viable shooting lanes but to to shoot into illegal areas and drag them out when nobody is looking...

I get that deer hunting on public land is very difficult around here... but if you're going to poach we don't need you, and I'm going to start posting pics of your stands, reporting you, and taking further action if I need to.

I'm in the field nearly every day. I will find you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got the AeroCrank AD today for my Scorpyd crossbow. Installed it and spent an hour or so shooting to get comfy with how it works before I need to do it in a hurry. Crossbow was shooting 2" or better groups at 50yds with gusty wind. I'll be testing broadheads Friday. I'm hoping either the Ramcats or Slick Tricks will shoot well. I've used Ramcats before with near surgical precision but that was a different crossbow.

Headed to the new farm tomorrow afternoon to film my hunting partner for the opener. His first hunt on the first piece of property he's ever owned outside of the 1/2 acre he lives on so we're both pretty pumped. Haven't really been seeing much on camera as far as good bucks but the way his property lays I expect a lot of visitors when the rut kicks off.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cutthroats have been taken to 1000grit.
    Not quite there.
    Will wash my hunting clothes and hone the broadheads further tomorrow.
    Still kinda off, and don't go for followup visit w the surgeon til monday. On the mend, just taking a little while.
    If I shoot one this weekend I won't be able to haul it out, will have to call the cavalry.

Bear has a new alum riser for their TD recurve.
    Also looking at the Paradox HC compound.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Well this morning was a bust. Decided to take my daughter(7) with me since she was off of school and wanted to go. Wasn’t even 7:30 and she couldn’t sit still or keep her mouth shut. By 8 she was “so cold her feet were falling off”. Decided she had already spooked any deer we had a chance of seeing so I decided to go ahead and open up shooting lanes a bit more and clear some brush to make access a little easier. Maybe tomorrow morning...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got up early and was on site by 7 AM. About 8 AM, 3 does and 4 yearlings ran past at about 40 yards. Never even slowed down, so no possible clean shot. They approached from downwind. Our youngest saw the same thing during youth weekend, but only 1 doe and 2 yearlings, in the same place at about the same time. Found the trail they are using, so I have a pretty good idea where to set up for next time (depending on wind direction).

Still no rubs or scrapes.

120541267_10223927093464007_5553327304720376996_n.jpg

Top Bottom