Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Squirrel Season

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larcat View Post
    Rib cage too annoying / bony?
    Not much meat on the ribs. If you like making soup, it is useful but I've left that part for the possums and vultures for many years.

You guys and your shotguns.

I've shotgunned squirrels exactly one time. Never again. No challenge and again, I hate the smell of punctured guts. Rimfire pistol if you want a real challenge.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Ark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Rimfire pistol if you want a real challenge.
    I smoked one with my SR22 the other day because he was still moving at a decent clip on 2 out of 4 legs after getting blown out of the tree by the 12 gauge, does that count?

A 15-22 looks like a fun way to go.

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

My daughter will be using a .410 while I'll be using my 10" MKII.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Still havenít got out myself yet this year, I need to though

User Info Menu

I got sent home from work for having the Rona symptoms so until my test results come back I have a paid vacation. I've been self isolating in the woods with my 2400kt, mossberg 702 and rough rider. I got a fox squirrel today that may as well been a lap dog in a tree dang thing wouldn't fit in my biggest bowl without quartering him. The 2400kt is a blast to hunt with and is so quiet I can get a couple shots off before I have to find a new spot.Have had such a great time decompressing and just getting some time to myself.with the exception of my cough I haven't felt this good in a long time.
    The rifle is the keystone of democracy

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

So what is everyone's gear they head out into the woods with?

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    So what is everyone's gear they head out into the woods with?
    Lg fanny pack with 2 bottles of water, game shears, ziplock bags, knife sharpener, compass, copy of hunting license, and a squirrel pin. With the shoulder straps it gives me a place to hand any clothing tbat gets too warm. Usually camouflage from head to toe. White chin whiskers tend to send 'em running.

They've seen me before.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

I believe shot gun is just as challenging as a rifle. You don't just blast. Have to pick shells you want to use and hit the range a few times to pattern them. Once you learn and practice your good to hit the woods. For me I use 5 shot aimed for past their nose. Catch them in the head with the fringe of the shot pattern. Generally no more than two or three bb's in the head and or neck. Also have capabilities of blasting one on the run and shooting shot is much safer.
    I wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

If it's a quick outing ziplock bag, rubber gloves, cleaning wipes, game shears, knife, gun and ammo. Cardboard to put on tailgate for cleaning them. Maybe a foam pad to sit on.

If I have more time bushcraft gear comes along. Make a shelter with a tarp or put up hammock. Brew up some coffee and cook something up. Hang up gear and hunt around.

Very much looking forward to it this year. I keep fishing and shoot from the boat if opportunity presents itself until weeds die off and you can see your breath.
    I wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    If it's a quick outing ziplock bag, rubber gloves, cleaning wipes, game shears, knife, gun and ammo. Cardboard to put on tailgate for cleaning them. Maybe a foam pad to sit on.

If I have more time bushcraft gear comes along. Make a shelter with a tarp or put up hammock. Brew up some coffee and cook something up. Hang up gear and hunt around.

Very much looking forward to it this year. I keep fishing and shoot from the boat if opportunity presents itself until weeds die off and you can see your breath.
    Not sure that's lawful to shoot from the boat is it? For squirrel at least...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast