• ...and so much more!
  • Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Surprised no one has started this thread. I unfortunately have not had time to hunt, yet, although I did take a walk yesterday afternoon through part of my woods. Saw one gray in a pignut hickory, but not a lot of evidence that they have started cutting much. I have one tree in my yard that has quite a few nuts this year and they haven't touched it.

Any success? Photos? Nut report? I promise I will have photos before the season is over!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Was just thinking about starting one too.

I took my 6 year old son out opening weekend and got a nice female fox squirrel. I took a new hunter this past weekend and shot a young male grey. Not much activity in the trees yet as best I can tell. I've seen one around my woods in town.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Successful both Saturdays ice gone out. Took 4y/o for her first time opening day, tagged 4 Grey's.

Took oldest daughter (7) out this past Saturday. 1 fox, 1 grey. Hoping to get some more in this week.

No cutting heavy, still getting the wild blackberries.
    b5fa19f267b594da21cbb27d1a5ec6ae.jpg
    6d5e56a225036f87c9001d1b964bd73e.jpg

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The vermin are cutting a red oak in my back yard heavily. I was going to take my 8 yr old out last Saturday. I made a deal with him on his math studies, he didn't fair too well so no hunting for him.

The difference between boys and girls is night and day. He flat doesn't give a f#&k.

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son turned 6 this year and wants to hunt. I am only a paper target hunter so I'm not so up on where to go. Any advice would be appreciated!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    went to put batteries and cards in the trail cameras and took the 10/22 just in case i saw one. heard a few and saw some sign but never put eyes on one. got stung by a bee and had my whole forearm swell up for about 48 hours. good luck and be careful out there

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Went out a little over the weekend. Still not feeling the best so didn't stay out long, plus with it being warm didn't even try to shoot any. Did "count coup" on a couple tho. Once it cools off enough that they aren't covered in flies before they hit the ground, then I'll get serious.

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I haven't been is several years but I check the zero on my 22 weatherby just in case. The rifle is ready and waiting, as usual. The sad thing is that I really like to squirrel hunt.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    My son turned 6 this year and wants to hunt. I am only a paper target hunter so I'm not so up on where to go. Any advice would be appreciated!

the deer creek FWA has a few areas with lots of sign. To the south of the range, and to the NW of the range. The problem is the range opens at 9, so you are pretty much over hunting after that hour.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Acorns dropping here along with lots of leaves. It's so dry I feel an early fall coming on. Haven't seen many squirrels. I'll stick to fishing until it gets frosty out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yesterday evening was my first chance to go. Saw several. Brought one home. Shot at him offhand up in the top of a shellbark and about clipped off a front paw at the wrist. Watched him skitter down and back up to cover. Then something happened I've never seen. The other two squirrels in the same tree chased the one I'd wounded to the ground and he ran up a trunk about 10' from me to head height and stopped.

So I shot him through the head. Only time I can think of in about 46 yrs of hunting them that I got the chance to redeem myself on a bad shot. And the squirrels kin put him in harms way. Never saw the like.
    Got plenty of bushy tails in the woods judging by the hickory nut cuttings.
    Trash panda under the bird feeder this morning too, so life is good.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Just returned from a morning out with my 14 yo son. I didn’t expect any activity with the heat and humidity. I was wrong. In approximately 2 hours we bagged 7 between us. They are hitting the shag bark hickory’s hard. Btw the boy beat dad, he harvested 4 and dad 3. Dad got the fun of dressing 7.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Just returned from a morning out with my 14 yo son. I didn’t expect any activity with the heat and humidity. I was wrong. In approximately 2 hours we bagged 7 between us. They are hitting the shag bark hickory’s hard. Btw the boy beat dad, he harvested 4 and dad 3. Dad got the fun of dressing 7.

Way to go Dad! Congrats to your son. Enjoy the time together, it seem to go by quick.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Awesome. Congrats for the 2 of you

Top Bottom