Son is looking for a Brittany, not a puppy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Any suggestions on where to look- he is looking for an older or started dog for hunting pheasant and quail.

He has been looking all summer but not having much luck.

Obviously- since he is 16, he has a limited budget so not a $3000 dog.

Any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

B&G

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Not hunting specific, but there are a couple Brittany Rescue organizations:
    https://americanbrittanyrescue.org/selected-dogs/?type=public&value=midwest
    https://nbran.org/available-brittanys

These dogs can have some behavior problems, but generally due to previous owners and their idiotic (lack of) training. The rescues will be upfront and disclose as much info about the dogs as they can. They want to find a forever home, not transport them from foster to foster. As with most dogs, a loving home, exercise and attention go a long way toward making them a devoted member of your pack. There's nothing quite like the love a Brittany has for their family.

They won't necessarily (not likely) be pure bred / papered, but could be.

The rescues will also make sure that all their shots & any health problems are treated, along with being spayed/neutered.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Not hunting specific, but there are a couple Brittany Rescue organizations:
    https://americanbrittanyrescue.org/selected-dogs/?type=public&value=midwest
    https://nbran.org/available-brittanys

These dogs can have some behavior problems, but generally due to previous owners and their idiotic (lack of) training. The rescues will be upfront and disclose as much info about the dogs as they can. They want to find a forever home, not transport them from foster to foster. As with most dogs, a loving home, exercise and attention go a long way toward making them a devoted member of your pack. There's nothing quite like the love a Brittany has for their family.

They won't necessarily (not likely) be pure bred / papered, but could be.

The rescues will also make sure that all their shots & any health problems are treated, along with being spayed/neutered.

Thanks, I think he is looking at some rescue places.

-B&G

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Post title "Son is looking for a Brittany, not a puppy."

Got me confused....thought he was looking for one of these?
    britney-spears-1999-performance-pink-billboard-1548-1024x677.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Because they are superior to all other bird dogs :):

This right here.

I was raised around Brittanys and had them all my life growing up. They are great family dogs with an excellent temperament. The fact they can work a field and find birds is just a bonus.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    There used to be a kennel in Gosport IN, that specialized in Brittanys... I don't know if it is still in business. Try these links: https://www.dogsnow.com/brittanyspanielindiana.htm Cross Creek Brittany's | Brittany Puppies Champion Pedigree Show Quality Breeding Program Hunting Dogs Indiana The latter website also list adult dogs also. Brittanys are a real joy to hunt with, as well as being very family oriented. Mine passed on at age 15, 7 years ago, I bought him as a pup from the above kennel in Gosport, trained him to received commands in Spanish, a very good hunter.... I still miss him daily.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This right here.

I was raised around Brittanys and had them all my life growing up. They are great family dogs with an excellent temperament. The fact they can work a field and find birds is just a bonus.

My dad and uncle had Brittanys when I was a little kid. I used to enjoy watching them get a little workout in the yard. Nothing like watching a brace of Brittanys lock up on point and the other honoring the point.

I would have one if there were more places around here to hunt pheasant and quail

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I've had bird dogs for 30 years. My dad had bird dogs for quite a few years, he always had Brittany's. I have had a Weimaraner, a Vizsla and now a Braque Francais. My hunting buddy had a Brittany and then a German Short Hair. Been around lots of Setters, English Pointers, Labs, and Wirehairs.

My dogs live inside and I and wife wanted a shorter haired dog. I wouldn't have a setter or English Pointer in the house. A Vizsla is super high energy. You have to be able to devote LOTS of tie and exercise to them. Weims get bored and a bored Weim may eat your house piece by piece. They are also smarter than 72% of humans.

The Braque Francais has been easily the best pet/hunting companion where the hunting is a small part of it's life. Great temperament especially indoors. GSP can be a little protective IMO. Brittany's a good choices for a pet/hunter. The problem I see is price. For a well bred dog that can hunt people are going to want a decent price, 1K plus I'd think.

I would suggest he look online at some gun dog sites and post his situation and what he's looking for. He may find a good ol' hunter who wants to see a teenager get a decent dog at a decent price. Good for everyone involved.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've had bird dogs for 30 years. My dad had bird dogs for quite a few years, he always had Brittany's. I have had a Weimaraner, a Vizsla and now a Braque Francais. My hunting buddy had a Brittany and then a German Short Hair. Been around lots of Setters, English Pointers, Labs, and Wirehairs.

My dogs live inside and I and wife wanted a shorter haired dog. I wouldn't have a setter or English Pointer in the house. A Vizsla is super high energy. You have to be able to devote LOTS of tie and exercise to them. Weims get bored and a bored Weim may eat your house piece by piece. They are also smarter than 72% of humans.

The Braque Francais has been easily the best pet/hunting companion where the hunting is a small part of it's life. Great temperament especially indoors. GSP can be a little protective IMO. Brittany's a good choices for a pet/hunter. The problem I see is price. For a well bred dog that can hunt people are going to want a decent price, 1K plus I'd think.

I would suggest he look online at some gun dog sites and post his situation and what he's looking for. He may find a good ol' hunter who wants to see a teenager get a decent dog at a decent price. Good for everyone involved.

My dad always had weims, I dont recall any of them chewing anything they shouldn't have. Now my labs and chessies..... LOL...

If I did more upland, I would love to own a Griffin.... A friend has one, cool ****ing dog...

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Any suggestions on where to look- he is looking for an older or started dog for hunting pheasant and quail.

He has been looking all summer but not having much luck.

Obviously- since he is 16, he has a limited budget so not a $3000 dog.

Any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

B&G

I would second the suggestion from rosejm. https://americanbrittanyrescue.org/s...&value=midwest

PhotoNinja wanted a birddog, but she didn't want a Vizsla because I had one. So she looked at ABR. She found a dog in Michigan, but the foster was a total jackass and kept giving her the runaround about a date and time to go look. She almost gave up, then the state coordinator found her a 18-month old out of Minnesota. I rode up to South bend to pick up Jack, who proceeded to sleep the entire 2.5hr ride home.

Jack is an excellent Brit. He comes from solid hunting lines, is a bit bigger than the average(60-65lb), and has an excellent nose. I took him out last year by myself to a put-and-take at Roush. He locked up on a hen that was ~15 yards away and wouldn't budge. And my wife has done minimal field training with him. So needless to say, I think your son is making a good choice.

PhotoNinja has fostered several dogs for ABR. As rosejm said, rescue's can have some behavior problems...but you can find a good dog.

As for the state coordinator for ABR, Terry Mixdorf, she lives in Iowa where the derecho hit so communication may be strained(haven't talked to PN to see what her situation is) but contact her directly. They may have dogs available that are not posted on the site. Be honest with what your son is looking for, and they will help you.

When I got my first Vizsla, I looked into rescue. The lady I talked with(buckeye vizsla rescue) was offputting and almost to the point rude. So I talked with someone from another rescue(Pam Spurgeon) and she was very helpful in answering my questions and guiding me in the right path to go down. I wound up not going the rescue route, but I wouldn't discourage it.

One other thing. If your son, and you, want to hunt behind a Brit,we'll be taking Jack out to Roush again for Put-and-take this year. PM me and we can coordinate something.

Top Bottom