• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    We have a place on the Vermillion River and see grass carp near shore. I haven't had time to do any fishing yet, built a privacy fence now working on a deck, but hopefully soon. There are also flatheads, channel cats, white bass and drum. Don't know much about the grass carp except is is imported and used to keep weeds down in ponds. Wondering what kind of bait would catch them and if they are any good to eat. Depending on my mood and type of fish I will keep them to eat other times I catch and release and the ones in my area are plenty big enough to be a lot of fun to catch. Jim.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I would use a net and get them out. It is much easier when theyre up at the waterline in the weeds and spawning. I've always felt they're destructive. And I would never eat one but thats just me...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Carp are a nuisance fish at best. We bowfish them. Shoot them, throw them on the shore or back in the water. They become food for other animals.

I knew some people who ate them. It usually involved catching them relatively unscathed, putting them in a large vessel with water and changing out the water until the water stayed clear. This supposedly gave them time to flush the mud out of their bodies.

I won't eat them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carp are a nuisance fish at best. We bowfish them. Shoot them, throw them on the shore or back in the water. They become food for other animals.

I knew some people who ate them. It usually involved catching them relatively unscathed, putting them in a large vessel with water and changing out the water until the water stayed clear. This supposedly gave them time to flush the mud out of their bodies.

I won't eat them.

We shoot them when it is appropriate.

Carp in general.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'd leave the grass carp alone. They've made a LOT of places fishable that previously weren't due to vegetation. They are there for a reason-basically aquatic lawnmowers. If they've been stocked by the state, the fish have been sterilized so don't reproduce.

Carp are actually tasty when prepared properly. Best way I've found is to can them then make patties out of the meat. Any small bones are softened by the canning and you'd never know they were there. Taste very similar to very mild canned salmon. I would avoid any larger ones, simply because of possible environmental toxins they may have been exposed to.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Carp are actually tasty when prepared properly...

My kids used to love to catch them by hand in one of my grandpa's ponds...

KQfg60Rl.jpg

mbkow7ll.jpg

We smoked several. It was as good or better than any smoked salmon I've ate.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Leave the grass carp alone. They are beneficial and pretty much ignore most bait.

I caught one once. but I literaly had to lower the worm into his mouth as he went to nibble on some grass and set the hook. Just dropping the worm next to him didnt even make him flinch. He totally ignored it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW the law changed years ago, you are not supposed to shoot carp and throw em on the bank or back in the water.
    Gotta haul em away where folks won't be bothered by mess.

We used to shoot em local and drive to a farm, dump at back corner. They were gone by day 2.
    Coons and possums beat that ground down to look like concrete LOL

PITA, rubber tub.........on hitch haul.
    Stash tub halfway in the bowfishing area, that way worst case you only had half the distance to wade back and dump.

Forget tying a stringer on your belt and dragging em around.

Might work for a couple small ones. But you shoot more than a dozen a day and 5-15 lbs...............tub is the way to go.
    Blood and slime...............its nasty.

Is what it is LOL

After a couple flap you during arrow removal, ya don't care anymore

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Y'all do realize that not all carp are created equal, right? There's the common carp, present in about every waterway in the country; then we have the silver carp which are basically the spawn of satan when it comes to ruining fisheries and a safety threat; and the grass carp, which are in only limited areas for a specific purpose and pose little to no threat to either safety or fisheries. About the only thing they have in common is being from the same branch of the taxonomic tree.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just ordered grass carp yesterday. They are sterile, so the 25 they bring out will be the only ones I have.
    Yeah same here. I had to have them delivered due to state law. They are sterile and can't breed. But will eat a ton of grass.
    Also NOT cheap fish.

CM these are different than Asian carp. I think they are called white amures? Not really a carp or thats what I was told.
    Either way, any stocked pond will have some "carp" because they keep the invasive vegetation down

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Either way, any stocked pond will have some "carp" because they keep the invasive vegetation down

When mine was dug and stocked 20 years ago, it was only bluegill, large mouth, and channel catfish. They should have gotten carp then, but I'm finally doing it now.

I'm planning to add an aerator of some kind soon, too, but I've been waiting on the power company for 3 months now to bring in the service.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Did some more looking and the Indiana DNR considers bighead, silver, grass and black carp as invasive species. It is illegal to possess any of them live and if you catch any of them you should eat, throw in garbage or use for cut-bait. https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-AsianCarpFactsheet.pdf

I understand how the grass carp could be benificial if you have a pond or small lake because most ponds I see in the area are so full of weeds you can hardly see the water. But the ones I see are in the Vermillion river just a few miles from the Wabash so see no reason for weed control. If I do catch any of them they are history, either garbage or bait. Jim.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Only have two grass carp left in the pond. They are each in excess of 36". They splash around close to the bank and swim with the dorcel fins up looking like little sharks. Did not have to put any copper sulfate in the water this year because they took care of all the top water grasses.

When I mow I blow the grass toward the pond now. They splash around in it. I think they are eating some, but either way it is fun to watch.

If I were staying here I would get a couple more. I am sure I would have no weed worries after that.

I worked with a guy years back that told me he would take any carp he caught and cut the lip/mouth area off then toss them back. Last time I fished with him. I told him if I saw that I would kick his ass. Kill em if you want, but don't torture.

Long story short, I feel the grass carp are worthwhile for ponds and such.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Do more research. There's a ton of misinformation in this thread. First, are you certain they're grass carp, common carp, buffalo etc? Figure that part out first. Grass carp are sterile and a good thing for a pond, the other species, get em out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When mine was dug and stocked 20 years ago, it was only bluegill, large mouth, and channel catfish. They should have gotten carp then, but I'm finally doing it now.

I'm planning to add an aerator of some kind soon, too, but I've been waiting on the power company for 3 months now to bring in the service.

Have you thought about a solar solution?

Top Bottom