Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grass Carp

Marksman

User Info Menu

Grass Carp

We have a place on the Vermillion River and see grass carp near shore. I haven't had time to do any fishing yet, built a privacy fence now working on a deck, but hopefully soon. There are also flatheads, channel cats, white bass and drum. Don't know much about the grass carp except is is imported and used to keep weeds down in ponds. Wondering what kind of bait would catch them and if they are any good to eat. Depending on my mood and type of fish I will keep them to eat other times I catch and release and the ones in my area are plenty big enough to be a lot of fun to catch. Jim.

User Info Menu

I would use a net and get them out. It is much easier when theyre up at the waterline in the weeds and spawning. I've always felt they're destructive. And I would never eat one but thats just me...
    sauce will thicken upon standing

User Info Menu

Carp are a nuisance fish at best. We bowfish them. Shoot them, throw them on the shore or back in the water. They become food for other animals.

I knew some people who ate them. It usually involved catching them relatively unscathed, putting them in a large vessel with water and changing out the water until the water stayed clear. This supposedly gave them time to flush the mud out of their bodies.

I won't eat them.
    Anything is possible

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Carp are a nuisance fish at best. We bowfish them. Shoot them, throw them on the shore or back in the water. They become food for other animals.

I knew some people who ate them. It usually involved catching them relatively unscathed, putting them in a large vessel with water and changing out the water until the water stayed clear. This supposedly gave them time to flush the mud out of their bodies.

I won't eat them.
    We shoot them when it is appropriate.

Carp in general.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I'd leave the grass carp alone. They've made a LOT of places fishable that previously weren't due to vegetation. They are there for a reason-basically aquatic lawnmowers. If they've been stocked by the state, the fish have been sterilized so don't reproduce.

Carp are actually tasty when prepared properly. Best way I've found is to can them then make patties out of the meat. Any small bones are softened by the canning and you'd never know they were there. Taste very similar to very mild canned salmon. I would avoid any larger ones, simply because of possible environmental toxins they may have been exposed to.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johntheplinker View Post
    ...Carp are actually tasty when prepared properly...
    My kids used to love to catch them by hand in one of my grandpa's ponds...

We smoked several. It was as good or better than any smoked salmon I've ate.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

Leave the grass carp alone. They are beneficial and pretty much ignore most bait.

I caught one once. but I literaly had to lower the worm into his mouth as he went to nibble on some grass and set the hook. Just dropping the worm next to him didnt even make him flinch. He totally ignored it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

BTW the law changed years ago, you are not supposed to shoot carp and throw em on the bank or back in the water.
    Gotta haul em away where folks won't be bothered by mess.

We used to shoot em local and drive to a farm, dump at back corner. They were gone by day 2.
    Coons and possums beat that ground down to look like concrete LOL

PITA, rubber tub.........on hitch haul.
    Stash tub halfway in the bowfishing area, that way worst case you only had half the distance to wade back and dump.

Forget tying a stringer on your belt and dragging em around.

Might work for a couple small ones. But you shoot more than a dozen a day and 5-15 lbs...............tub is the way to go.
    Blood and slime...............its nasty.

Is what it is LOL

After a couple flap you during arrow removal, ya don't care anymore

User Info Menu

Kill it. Grass carp aren't like the commons they will completely destroy a body of water. Force feed them a spear or arrow.
    The rifle is the keystone of democracy

User Info Menu

Y'all do realize that not all carp are created equal, right? There's the common carp, present in about every waterway in the country; then we have the silver carp which are basically the spawn of satan when it comes to ruining fisheries and a safety threat; and the grass carp, which are in only limited areas for a specific purpose and pose little to no threat to either safety or fisheries. About the only thing they have in common is being from the same branch of the taxonomic tree.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast