• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    So I am going down to hunt deer and hogs with SOE again in SW Texas in early January. I’m in a dilemma on what to do since I don’t have an appropriate firearm. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 options:

1) Buy an upper for my AR... but I have a left handed Stag, and lefty uppers are few and far between.

2) Get a barrel for my T/C Encore.

3) Buy a new rifle.

Your thoughts and opinions/recommendations?

HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    I definitely want enough time to sight in and be 100% comfortable with any shot I take. I have ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper, and I’m looking forward to getting it dialed in. You guys rock!

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    Ummm.....ah happen to "be from here", and my FIRST question is - WHERE are ya gonna be huntin', and HOW? It's not out of the realm of possibility to have 3-500 yard shots, dependin' on where your huntin'. An' some folks down here hunt 'em out of a helicopter. Are you gonna be huntin' in daylight, or at night? An' if yer gonna be huntin' from a blind, you'd be VERY well served to have a suppressor to give ya better chances of multiple shots. This is my li'l pig-getter - but I wouldn't be adverse to usin' my suppressed 7mm mag if I was huntin' in Laredo, or West Texas, because the long range shots are VERY possible.

Attachments

• NV AR Suppressed.jpg
      NV AR Suppressed.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 12
    • 700 BDL with suppressor 2.jpg
      700 BDL with suppressor 2.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 10

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I definitely want enough time to sight in and be 100% comfortable with any shot I take. I have ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper, and I’m looking forward to getting it dialed in. You guys rock!

That’s great! What brand and length did you go with? Are you planning to hunt hogs at night as well?

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    So I am going down to hunt deer and hogs with SOE again in SW Texas in early January. I’m in a dilemma on what to do since I don’t have an appropriate firearm. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 options:

1) Buy an upper for my AR... but I have a left handed Stag, and lefty uppers are few and far between.

2) Get a barrel for my T/C Encore.

3) Buy a new rifle.

Your thoughts and opinions/recommendations?

I ended up doing most of your list, although I don't have a T/C Encore. I re-barreled my .300 Blackout AR with a stainless Wilson Combat .350 Legend barrel. I purchased a like new Marlin 336 in October and used it for both Indiana deer season and Texas hog hunting. Finally, I found a nice used Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 in the event I would be doing some long range hunting. I've wanted one for sometime and figured this would be a good time to literally pull that trigger!

Good luck and have a great hunt!

HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    Just wanted to drop an update. I was blessed with the opportunity to harvest a 6.5 year old 10 point (brows are nubs, but there) and a doe. I shot the buck at 180 yards, and he dropped in his tracks. The Grendel did its job! I’ve now passed the upper along to another INGO member, and I hope he will have the same luck. Due to my dad’s advanced age, it’s unlikely we will get to do another trip like this. So I’m back behind my muzzleloader from now on. Thanks for all the help guys!

(Didn’t see any hogs, btw)

Attachments

• BD511626-647E-4037-A4DC-705C6CAB4A7C.jpeg
      BD511626-647E-4037-A4DC-705C6CAB4A7C.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 11
    • 25B75FFD-8EAE-4876-9596-5F1B63296873.jpeg
      25B75FFD-8EAE-4876-9596-5F1B63296873.jpeg
      2.5 MB · Views: 11
    Top Bottom