• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keagan2828

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If y’all are ever bored eagle creek has an outfitter and you can rent paddle boards, canoes, kayaks, and small pontoons for pretty cheap
    f39acd0e058ec4200b3e5bc7975a8c19.jpg

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Thanks. But, it's a city park. I don't know all the differences in city/state, but it is not part of the park reduction hunts put on by the state. I think Eagle Creek is also admission fee free. State parks you pay to enter, except out of season. I have launched at the EC ramp and paid a fee for that.

Keagan2828

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. But, it's a city park. I don't know all the differences in city/state, but it is not part of the park reduction hunts put on by the state. I think Eagle Creek is also admission fee free. State parks you pay to enter, except out of season. I have launched at the EC ramp and paid a fee for that.

Oops my bad, I didn’t realize it was a city park, I do know they charge admission though, I’ve paid 7 at the gate to get in before

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

They've had reduction hunts in Eagle Creek before. May have been archery only, but I know they've had them.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    They've had reduction hunts in Eagle Creek before. May have been archery only, but I know they've had them.

Yes, I thought they have had at least one also, but not even sure on that. That's what made me look it up when the State Park reduction hunts came around. I had hunting land that bordered it and I had heard stories of a "monster" buck running around there. The big ol buck was later poached. Eagle Creek was listed as a Municipal park. It would be up to the city and/or county to run a reduction hunt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Yes, I thought they have had at least one also, but not even sure on that. That's what made me look it up when the State Park reduction hunts came around. I had hunting land that bordered it and I had heard stories of a "monster" buck running around there. The big ol buck was later poached. Eagle Creek was listed as a Municipal park. It would be up to the city and/or county to run a reduction hunt.

Yep, agreed. It would be independent of the state hunts.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I live across the street from ECP. That is the muddiest water I've ever seen there in the 30 years I've been going.

There have been two hunts there. The first was quite a while back and might have been just archery. The second one, maybe five years ago was as I recall, a two day affair, with the first day being archery. I could be misremembering. I think they took 150+ deer. I know the survivors pretty much stay in the park now so they're not getting hit by cars or eating my hostas.

30 years ago it cost 25¢ to get into the park. Now it's $5 for Marion County residents + another $3 to launch a kayak, canoe, or paddleboard, no access for motorized craft. The boat ramp down by Rick's is still $5 I think to launch, no park fee.

And yes, I remember the monster buck. He even had a name, but I don't remember what it was.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I wouldn't call it hunting. Shooting deer at night over bait piles with night vision, thermal scopes and suppressors and getting paid to do it doesn't have much in common with hunting.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was able to get within 15' of this buck once and within 25 just about any day he would make an appearance, until they slaughtered him. I tried to get them to open up the park for a wounded vet hunt but they had apparently already signed the contract with the company who determined how overpopulated the place was and they were paid to exterminate them. I'm still pissed about the whole thing. Total waste of tax dollars when it could have generated thousands of dollars for the park and provided an opportunity at some amazing deer for some guys and gals who made some big sacrifices.

You'd think that the people they would hire to run a park like Eagle Creek would know something about wildlife and maybe even wildlife management. Nice people but no clue.
    QvZpzJ6.jpg

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I was able to get within 15' of this buck once and within 25 just about any day he would make an appearance, until they slaughtered him. I tried to get them to open up the park for a wounded vet hunt but they had apparently already signed the contract with the company who determined how overpopulated the place was and they were paid to exterminate them. I'm still pissed about the whole thing. Total waste of tax dollars when it could have generated thousands of dollars for the park and provided an opportunity at some amazing deer for some guys and gals who made some big sacrifices.

You'd think that the people they would hire to run a park like Eagle Creek would know something about wildlife and maybe even wildlife management. Nice people but no clue.
    QvZpzJ6.jpg
    Tried the same at Versailles park before the first slaughter-would have been perfect opportunity for youth/handicapped hunters,but the IDNR,aka the Incompetents Doing Nothing Right were only interested in wiping out the deer.I think the first 2 day hunt they allowed 295 hunters and killed 800+ deer. They picked our 35 acre corn the next day and we found 8 dead and 2 cripples in the field.The last day of the last hunt in 2018 they allowed the same 295 hunters in(obviously all didn't show) and killed 2 deer which might suggest the "herd" was under control,but they are hunting it again this year.Most days you can spot more bald eagles in the park than deer..but they are a ***** to clean and taste like fish.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The leftists who run Marion County do not want anything to do with anything that might encourage someone to hunt, own a gun or try to feed themselves.

Top Bottom