• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was asked to show the gear that I use for coyote hunting...

My primary gun is a small frame DPMS in 6mm creedmoor. Last two seasons, I used a 6.5 grendel, but I wanted something that shoots flatter. It has a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 60mm which makes longer shots easier. Also, a brass catcher from Tactical Brass Recovery.

My backup/let a friend use a gun is my 6.5 Grendel with a Pulsar Digisight N450.

I use a Night Goggles tripod which gives a solid rest.

This is my truck gun. A Sig MPX with a Bering Optics Hogster-r 35mm. I can't tell you how many times we would park, get out of the truck, and there would be a coyote 25 yards away. By the time we would get around the truck and get our guns out, it would be gone.

Now it sits neatly in the door.

My Pulsar Axion xm30 which I haven't been happy with. It will be a backup/loaner.

All my gear fits in a cheap airsoft vest. I hate how tacti-cool it is, but it actually works pretty well.

My Ruger 22/45 that I had ZRTactical cut down for me. Lol, I have no idea how accurate it is, but it works great for head shots at 1-2 feet.

And finally, my caller. A Foxpro Shockwave.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    This thread is awesome. Thanks for doing the showcase!

I’m not going to google 6mm Creedmoor... I’m not gonna google 6mm Creedmoor...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is the Bering Hoster still your recommendation for thermal scopes? I'm pretty sure that is going to be our next purchase.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’m sure Rookie will chime in, but I can say that due primarily to his reviews, I bought the Hogster-R 35mm and was so impressed that I ended up buying two more which were sold to my hunting buddies.

It isn’t quite as impressive as some of the flagship Pulsar’s that I’ve used, but it’s darn close for $1500 less.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes...

There's three Hogster-r models.

25mm https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...-5-6x25mm-ultra-compact-thermal-weapon-sight/
    35mm https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...ng-optics-hogster-35mm-compact-thermal-scope/
    Super Hogster https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...ptics-super-hogster-r-384-12um-2-9-11-6x35mm/

Of the three, I would recommend either the 35mm or the Super hogster. 1.4 native magnification is rarely enough.

My Super Hogster should be in Thursday. If your husband would like to come check them out, feel free to PM me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thanks guys. He's busy building a house for our daughter at the moment, but coyote season is coming soon and there were three in the back yard there the other day. Time to start thinning them out again. I'll be sure to note the models that are preferred.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have one similar to it. I tried using it a few times and didn't like it. When you're watching a coyote come in from a long distance, and you're constantly moving with it, my hand would start to cramp. I went back to the stock mount. Also, I'm left handed and most people aren't, so the pistol grip types aren't as ambidextrous as the other mount.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I usually mount the gun on the tripod and then set the tripod on my shoulder when walking out to the field. The foam gives a little cushion.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, here's my update...

I'm very impressed with the super hogster. I put my Trijicon in the safe, and I'm going to get some hunting in before I give my final opinion. As of right now, I'd recommend the super hogster unless someone insisted on top of the line.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I’m sure Rookie will chime in, but I can say that due primarily to his reviews, I bought the Hogster-R 35mm and was so impressed that I ended up buying two more which were sold to my hunting buddies.

It isn’t quite as impressive as some of the flagship Pulsar’s that I’ve used, but it’s darn close for $1500 less.

What can that Hogster be bought for, Including clergyman's discount? Are there distributors or just straight from the manufacturer?

Top Bottom