• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Good advise. A good visual of what can happen if you have your head in a rectal defilade position.
    Back when I taught 4H I made a visual aid of what happens when you load a muzzleloader with smokeless. Real attention getter when the kids realize that doing that will result in what is basically a grenade going off a couple of inches in front of their face.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Great visual of what can happen.

Way back when I was probably 12 or 13, we were headed out to hunt rabbits with dad. On the drive dad told us how he had once accidentally plugged a barrel with mud when he was a kid and didn't realize it. Luckily he didn't shoot the gun before noticing. Well a couple hours later, I was walking the edge of a fence row along a freshly plowed under corn field. Yep, I tripped on a corn stalk and rammed my barrel down into the mud. I was aware enough of the risks, so I immediately cleared the gun, removed the barrel and dad found a suitable stick to clear the mud from the barrel. These things can happen

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When I was teaching Hunter Safety in the late 1990s we had a barrel donated from a Rem 1100 that had been blown out from an obstruction. It was the THIRD barrel the donor had blown up. IIRC first was from snow plugged while walking with the barrel down, second was from mud, and the third was from the rag he had left in the bore from cleaning at the end of the previous season. that had

Top Bottom