• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I need something like this but they seem unobtainable here in the states (been watching for a year). Does anyone have the ability and willingness to make on for me? I'm not asking for charity of course, I'll pay for time and materials.
    [video=youtube;gyXA1FHVCew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXA1FHVCew[/video]

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Unless your pasture is well established I would use a chain drag to break up and spread the manure. Breaking it up will fertilize, minimize weed growth, and help fly control.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unless your pasture is well established I would use a chain drag to break up and spread the manure. Breaking it up will fertilize, minimize weed growth, and help fly control.

I've drug and broken it up before and if our pastures were a little larger I'd just do that but in this case we need to get it picked up.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    This design will require very smooth ground and very short grass. It is basically a moving grain shovel and will just push the manure around in tall grass or rough ground. One suggestion on a better design would be to make the leading edge into multiple sections pivoting on an axle, sort of like an udside down leaf rake with wider tines. This would compensate for uneven ground. (Browsing the internet there are other collectors out there with rotating mechanisms that would probably work better but they are pricey.)
    I was a horse owner and manufacturing engineer most of my career. During late spring and summer we would pick the manure and haul it out in a wheel barrow each day or every other day. We used this on our gardens. It only took 10-15 minutes a day for 2 horses on 1 acre pasture. We then dragged the pasture during late fall and winter to fertilize. When we had 6 horses on 15 acres we just dragged.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We’ve got 3 horses on 3.5 acres (2 pastures). I’m not very good with a shovel these days due to my shoulder and my wife and daughter are very busy so something that would speed this chore up would be very helpful. Even if it only picks up 60% and spreads the remaining 40% it’s a huge improvement for us. I’ve read several reviews on these and they seem to be pretty well received. Our pastures are pretty flat so hopefully it’ll do the trick.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    You might try a local weld shop and just have them weld up 3/8 or 1/2 thick aluminum/steel plate in the dimensions you want. 1/4" plate would probably work for the back but I would stick with 3/8 or 1/2 for the sides if you add wheels later. You could try that out before investing more money. If it works you could always add on wheels afterwards. I'd suggest wheels that would pivot down or up and lock in with pins in the up or down positions.
    It will have to be pretty big for 3 horses putting out about 90-150 lbs of manure a day.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You might try a local weld shop and just have them weld up 3/8 or 1/2 thick aluminum/steel plate in the dimensions you want. 1/4" plate would probably work for the back but I would stick with 3/8 or 1/2 for the sides if you add wheels later. You could try that out before investing more money. If it works you could always add on wheels afterwards. I'd suggest wheels that would pivot down or up and lock in with pins in the up or down positions.
    It will have to be pretty big for 3 horses putting out about 90-150 lbs of manure a day.

If one builds a three sided box from 1/2" steel plate the 48" x 48" floor will weight about 325 lbs.
    Add three sides and it will be over 500 lbs before hitch and wheel assy.
    One will not like the cost of aluminum today.
    Make the box from 12-14 gauge and square tubing for the rest. The only heavy steel needed is a 3/8ths cuting edge.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I bought a small spreader that I pull behind the ranger. You can pull one with a good sized lawn tractor . it will cost $$ but keep your eye out for one. They come up for sale often. It is worth every penny in time and effort. . We have 8 horses.
    I got piece of heavy chain link fence that I pull behind it chews up and spreads the old manure piles in the pasture great. I screwed it to a piece of right angle aluminum. It’s about 5’x6’ long. Cheap and easy!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks tms. I actually bought a new ABI spreader a few months ago which works great but I prefer to compost the manure before I spread it. Just need something to assist with collection at this point.

Top Bottom