• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Finally giving up on my "do all" tactical/hiking/casual boots, after 3 years and putting them through hell.

What is a good "do it all" boot that doesn't scream tactical operator?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    i9 have used danners a bit back in the day. I have only used their military boots. I'm a fan of those, but not what I'm looking for in this instance. I have some soloman and merrels I'm looking at as well.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I like the Irishsetters that have the wedge sole that you can buy at Rural King. I also buy Superfeet orange insoles to make my back not to so much of a beating working / standing on concrete.
    I have the Solomon 4D special forces that have taken it's share of a beating. I changed the insoles to orange Superfeet also.
    My Danners have been resoled 2X and they have orange Superfeet insoles.

So, the insoles are the common theme / not so much the boot. They are not cheap but I'm worth it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ive got 2 pair of Merrells that I wear for everything. Yard work, "work" work, running errands, etc. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Mine are about a year old and holding up well. I wouldn't wear them for serious hiking but for just wandering in the woods they are great.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Finally giving up on my "do all" tactical/hiking/casual boots, after 3 years and putting them through hell.

What is a good "do it all" boot that doesn't scream tactical operator?

These are just the boots you are looking for. So comfortable, bought last minute for a Itilay and Switzerland winter trip with tons of walking cobblestones,ancient steps, and climbs. Wore Smartwool socks in them. Broke them in on the trip just perfect. Great support and stability, good traction and grip. Easily function as a tactical boot but the great casual grey man look. I paid full price a year ago, no regrets.

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-track-25-m-83181401543.html?dwvar_83181401543_color=01543#start=21&sz=20

831814-01543-outside.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The options keep coming, Thanks to everyone. What are some of the Pros/cons of these boots?

I tend to overthink my purchases, but I think boots are absolutely essential to your health and comfort. I will be going tomorrow after work to try out some of these.

I like the ecco's, you are right about the grey man look. that's what I'm going for.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm jumping on this as I have been looking for about a year now.

I may want something different than most but I'm looking for a boot to mostly wear to the range:

1. Lightweight
    2. As minimal of a heel drop as possible
    3. Will insulate feet from the rocks telegraphing through to the bottom of my foot.
    4. Not crazy expensive
    5. Breathable for hot weather wear. Some mesh panels would be good.
    6. Non waterproof. Self draining would be cool.

I'll read along and see what options come up.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm jumping on this as I have been looking for about a year now.

I may want something different than most but I'm looking for a boot to mostly wear to the range:

1. Lightweight
    2. As minimal of a heel drop as possible
    3. Will insulate feet from the rocks telegraphing through to the bottom of my foot.
    4. Not crazy expensive
    5. Breathable for hot weather wear. Some mesh panels would be good.
    6. Non waterproof. Self draining would be cool.

I'll read along and see what options come up.
    I think you lost me at "not expensive" all things are relative, but dang good boots are pricey. Part of the reason I'm having such a hard time deciding.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you lost me at "not expensive" all things are relative, but dang good boots are pricey. Part of the reason I'm having such a hard time deciding.

By "not crazy expensive" I mean north of $300. And I'd like to stay south of $200 but I have no issue buying once, crying once. Plus I appreciate good footwear.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Tried a pair of Keen boots about 6 years ago, pretty much on a whim. Only boots and work shoes I will buy now. Super comfy, some are water proof, some even have steel toed. Wide range of style options, colors etc.

Top Bottom