• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hi INGO

What recommendations can you provide on hunting knives?

- Primary focus would be for deer hunting
    - Prefer fixed blade over folding
    - Would like a sheath with it
    - Open to two knives if a larger fixed blade paired with a smaller skinning knife is suggested
    - More of a traditional knife style/design preferred
    - Would like to stay under $50/knife
    - Gut hook is intriguing

Outside of folders, I only currently have a cheaper Buck fixed blade (I believe the Bucklite brand).

Appreciate your thoughts.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you're not looking for an heirloom, check out Morakniv. I got a Companion last year and it is quickly becoming my go to for field dressing. Super sharp from the factory. Fit and finish leaves a lot to the imagination. $10-15 on Amazon I think.
    For skinning I still prefer a Buck. I don't remember the model off the top of my head. It sucks for field dressing but really shines for skinning.
    if you are wanting something to pass down, disregard the above.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Buck 102, 105, or 118 are all good knives appropriately sized for use on deer sized game. Also, they are American made.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    If you're not looking for an heirloom, check out Morakniv. I got a Companion last year and it is quickly becoming my go to for field dressing. Super sharp from the factory. Fit and finish leaves a lot to the imagination. $10-15 on Amazon I think.
    For skinning I still prefer a Buck. I don't remember the model off the top of my head. It sucks for field dressing but really shines for skinning.
    if you are wanting something to pass down, disregard the above.

Thanks for the reminder in Moras. I have one somewhere, but had not considered it for hunting.

For skinning, how large/small of a knife do you recommend?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ESEE Ashley Game Knife

ESEE-AGK.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    From a price standpoint, the Schrade skinner (1520) is a decent buy. For the money its a competitor!!

IMG-20201110-085323048-HDR.jpg

I've had this one over 20 years but I bet they are still under 20 bucks. The tip is a little sharp and I was gonna reshape it some, but I just learned to be careful gutting. The gut hook definitely didn't work good on the one I tried

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Mora is a good choice for a cheap but good knife. Not real durable but for as little as they cost, who cares if they break if you're doing something you shouldn't with one. If you don't mind spending a few more $ take a look at J. Marttiini knives. I use their Condor drop point as a general use hunting knife and the Martef skinning knife as my field dressing/skinner.
    You don't need a Bowie to field dress or skin a deer, both Marttiinis I mention above are less than 4.5" long, and the skinning knife would work fine, maybe even better, even if it was an inch shorter.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I used to use a Schrade with a gut hook. It works but doesn't keep an edge very long. I have used a Gerber Gator folder for 20 years and it does well. My brother has the fixed version. Outdoor Edge also makes good stuff. I have their processing kit and also haved a skinner/caper combo that comes with a sheath.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks for the reminder in Moras. I have one somewhere, but had not considered it for hunting.

For skinning, how large/small of a knife do you recommend?
    I use a Buck 673 for skinning. 3" blade 7" overall length.
    I had skinned with my 110 for years. I picked up the 673 wanting to try a fixed blade with a different shape. Field dressed one deer with the 673 and went back to the 110. Tried a 112 once and found it a little too small.
    Tried the Mora last year and think I might keep the 110 in reserve. The carbon companion just works that well for me.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Mora is a good choice for a cheap but good knife. Not real durable but for as little as they cost, who cares if they break if you're doing something you shouldn't with one. If you don't mind spending a few more $ take a look at J. Marttiini knives. I use their Condor drop point as a general use hunting knife and the Martef skinning knife as my field dressing/skinner.
    You don't need a Bowie to field dress or skin a deer, both Marttiinis I mention above are less than 4.5" long, and the skinning knife would work fine, maybe even better, even if it was an inch shorter.
    As inexpensive as the Mora's are it might not even be worth sharpening them.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    My skinning experience is nowhere near what many here have, but I’ve found a gut hook to be more useful for anything but the guts. ;)

Taking into account your budget, you may wish to consider an older, used Schrade Old Timer as pictured above. The new ones are made overseas.

Paired with a Green River-patterned larger knife for the rest of camp duties, vintage or newer, and you have 2 USA-made knives within budget.

Top Bottom