• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Before sunrise this morning I was in my hunt house on my private property.
    When the light finally came I realized someone had been in my shoot house.
    Not only had someone been trespassing, but they also stole a bunch of my hunting gear.

I should have known better than to leave ANYTHING of value, but my property is so secluded, and far enough from any town or berg that I thought it would be safe enough.
    So far it looks like I'm missing,

A doe bleat can
    A grunt tube
    A cheap plastic ammo can
    A full case of MRE's
    A Mr. Buddy heater
    A pair of cheap binoculars
    Some camo netting
    A crescent shaped hand sickle
    2 1lb tanks of propane

By tomorrow I will have video surveillance cameras in place that will send video to my cell phone.
    As much as I HATE a thief, I am now wondering if someone has been using my shack for hunting., on MY property!

I can't remember when I was this pissed off.
    I can only hope that I end up catching someone on video.
    I WILL be reporting the trespassing AND the theft to the local sheriff. It won't do much good this time, but if I do manage to get images, and someone is identified,
    I WILL prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

I hope everyone else is having a better day...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Much better than you. I hope you catch the ******* or *******s.

A thief is just a murderer light. they stole part of your life that you spent earning that stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I often hear how it is so great being in the country away from all the thieves and villains. It would seem that it is the same out there just with less of them in the way and under foot. I would be looking to who ever lives close and knows the land around there.
    Also be prepared for retribution when you drop the hammer on these turds.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ironically enough, my remote cabin in Kentucky has several neighbors in visual range None of them did it, it was some junk stolen and these folks have really nice houses and well paying jobs. My place here in Indiana where I live has not had any issues and it’s as isolated as you can be in Indiana. Of course, one of us is here most of the time...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sorry to hear that Mgderf. We never had anything stolen when we were out that way but always had trespassers and I never doubted they’d have stolen anything of value (other than one trail camera) had we left it out there.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    What county you in? If you’re east of Indy, I can give you Scott Johnson’s direct number, he’s one of COs out here, I always call him if I have questions or concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Scott is a great guy for sure but Mgderf’s place is in Fountain Co and Ethan is the CO out that way. I’d definitely let him know about it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sorry that happened. Unfortunately it's the norm. People harvest fire wood, mushrooms, hunt and gladly help themselves to anything left in the field by the owners even if its locked up. For this reason I'm a no go on property ownership. I'll deal with the fuds on public ground for the limited hunting and adventures I do. Not much you can do but invest in expensive camera equipment and live on the property to guard it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sorry that happened. Unfortunately it's the norm. People harvest fire wood, mushrooms, hunt and gladly help themselves to anything left in the field by the owners even if its locked up. For this reason I'm a no go on property ownership. I'll deal with the fuds on public ground for the limited hunting and adventures I do. Not much you can do but invest in expensive camera equipment and live on the property to guard it.

Awesome isn’t it? My best friend just invested in a chunk or property this year and we’re already having issues in spite of the neighbors claiming none exist around here. I suspect the other property owners simply aren’t paying attention. We had issues at our last place as well so I’m not surprised, just a bit disappointed that our optimism was so short lived here. Sure would be nice if a person could utilize their own property as they see fit but apparently it’s too much to ask for some who apparently believe they have the right to things that belong to other people.

I reckon that’ll be one of the benefits when society falls apart, we’ll be able to properly tech people the lessons their parents failed to.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have dealt this with this sort of ***** for decades. Stolen stuff, poachers, illegal dumping, illegal logging, neighbors driving ATVs through the corn fields, for miles. Having deer hunts ruined. You name it.

We've posted signage, run people off, etc. The best thing we ever did was go around to all the neighbors and ask them for help, tell them that we have the Sheriff and COs on alert and ask them to call us or them if they spot anyone.

It's that last part that helped the most. if the neighbors weren't involved, they know who was and getting the word out that the cops were on alert I think made the difference. Very few incidents now. Used to be almost every time I went out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have lost 7 stands, 3 cameras and 1 deer through the years. It's not my land but a buddy and me are the only ones with rights to the 80 acres we hunt. The surrounding 300+ are heavily hunted by whoever and it is a endless fight. Good luck

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yep all the same stuff. Stands missing, people on quads, mushroom hunters, poachers, dumpers.....even had a guy buzz my stand with an ultralight plane to scare off any game. It's a joke. Not worth the trouble to me. Taking trips is a lot less expense, time, work, and headaches.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I feel for you. I want to thank you for reinforcing how blessed I am that my area is constantly observed and we tend to be the ones that gain gear from others. Except for the 1 cow that just went missing this year.

Top Bottom