• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I used to get tired of passing on a nice doe during early archery season, or having to rush into processing the meat during a warm spell so I started looking into ways to cool the meat when the temps are well above 40 deg. I found several options with most of them being very expensive. I ended up purchasing a used chest freezer off ebay and installing a second thermostat/temperature controller. Here's a link to the temperature controller that I used. It's been going strong for over 10 years now.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-...05730923&sprefix=digital+temer,aps,257&sr=8-4

Installation was simple. With the freezer unplugged, cut the wire feeding the compressor and connect the two ends to the Normally Open contacts on the controller. I actually spliced new wire to the cut ends so that I could cold locate the controller in a more convenient location. From there I drilled a hole in the side of the fridge. This is the important part. You have to make sure not to hit any of the lines in the freezer's wall. For this reason I located the hole in the little box that goes around the condenser. That doesn't appear to have any freon running through it (never has any frost on it). The freezer wall is pretty thick (mostly foam insulation). Fish the thermocouple wire though the hole and using something to seal it up. I used some RTV compound that I had laying around. I went a little further here and ran a pair of 12 ga wires through the hole also. I used them to feed a duplex receptacle inside the freezer. I use this to power a small fan that will circulate air allowing things to cool down a lot more quickly.

I started off with a small chest freezer which was big enough to hold 1 deer (skinned and quartered). I want to say that it was in the 3 to 4 cu ft range. I gave $50 for that freezer. When it's not being used as a deer cooler, I run the temp down to -20 and let the freezer's normal thermostat control the temperature. I ended up buying a (much) larger chest freezer off craigslist for $125 and converted it into a deer cooler using the same process. It's in the 12 cu ft range. It will hold a large buck and a large doe at the same time (skinned and quartered). The smaller freezer is now in my mudroom being used as a normal freezer. I put each quarter in a game bag (see links below), and then put the game bag in a clean, new trash bag and put that into the cooler. That keeps the inside of the cooler from getting bloody, and keeps the meat from being contaminated by the frost that melts in the cooler. I set the cooler to stay between 26 and 28 deg which will make the meat firm but not frozen solid. Durring the "off" season, it can be used as a normal freezer, or the temp can be run up to 30-40 deg to store pop/beer. ;-)

Below are links to the game bags that I use. You can also get them from Cabela's. I use the 48" bags for front legs and the chest of most does. The 60" bags I use for the chest of a buck, as well as the rear legs. After using them, I throw them in the washing machine with some bleach and detergent. Tumble dry and pack them up for next time. We used to use just trash bags, but I don't really trust the chemicals in them AND the game bags help prevent bones from poking holes in the bags. It doesn't stop the problem all together, but they help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Game-...words=alaskan+game+bags&qid=1605732016&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Game-...words=alaskan+game+bags&qid=1605732016&sr=8-5

My standard process looks something like this.

Shoot the deer.
    Find the deer.
    Tag the deer.
    Check the deer in on-line
    field dress the deer.
    Take the deer home
    Hang and skin the deer
    Quarter the deer and put into cooler

Generally speaking, the deer is in the cooler 2 to 3 hours after I squeeze the trigger. Less time if I'm in a hurry and hunting close to home. I now follow this processes and use the cooler for every deer I shoot regardless of the temps outside. It allows me to butcher when my schedule allows which is VERY convenient. When butchering, I bone the meat out and put it into 12 qt Sterlite containers that I buy at walmart. I think a 5 pack is around $8. The will fit on the shelf in the fridge, and they stack nicely in my cooler. They hold 15 to 20 lb of meat, but better to stay closer to 15 lb to keep from spilling any. I also grind into them. They get washed in bleach, dried, and stored in a clean trash bag (all stacked and nested together) until I need them again.

Hope this is helpful for someone.
    Mark

Last edited:

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Great post! Thanks for the info and I trust others will be sharing what they do as well. I'm going to start processing my own this year and thought about getting a used refrigerator to age & hold quarters for a few days until butchering, packing and freezing. Figured aging at 36-38F for 5-7 days would work well based on info found online.

Couple of questions. How long do you age or how long can you hold the quarters at 26-28F? Doesn't that temp start to crystallize and freeze water or moisture in the meat? Why are you holding the meat at 26-28F rather than just above 32F?

Thanks again!

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    All of my my meat goes into jerky, summer sausage, and burger. Ageing doesn't make any difference for that. I also buy a pork shoulder and blend it into my burger at around 10% and summer sausage at a minimum of 20%. The controller turns the compressor on at 28 and back off at 26. I've found that meat doesn't freeze until it gets below 28. At 32, the meat is still pretty soft. I prefer it to be firm when I'm butchering, especially when I run it through the grinder. I'll leave it for a week if I'm busy and can't get to it, but I normally start working on it within a couple of days. If for no other reason than to make more room for another deer.

We've used a fridge in the past, but we had a hard time fitting a big doe or a buck. Maybe our fridge was just a little smaller. I do have a 2nd fridge in our mudroom. It sets beside the butcher top table that I butcher on. I keep the tubs of meat in that fridge while I'm working and then put them in the cooler when I'm done.

Top Bottom