• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My father in law has always had a moose hunt on his bucket list. The problem has always been he's got two bad knees from college football. He's pushing 60 and if we were able to get something figured out he'd be doing a serious diet before we went. I've been volunteering to go along with him all these years just to be an extra set of hands helping with the work part of it. For me, I'd have just as much fun tagging along and being his little hunting buddy.

The question becomes, where to look at going to for a moose hunt that's not overly physical. Those two things don't really go together when I think of moose hunting. I know we'd need an outfitter and I know it'd be expensive, but it's something I want to look into for him. Ideally, I'd like to have some options in front of him at Christmas time to look at.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I went with these guys https://newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com/ .

I have a mixed review of them , wasn't bad but could have been better . 6 guys in our our group , 5 killed bulls , 1 killed a cow . My dad went along and he's in horrible shape and back issues . They can accommodate pretty much any physical ability .

Don't plan on killing a monster . Most of the ones they get are younger bulls and don't have paddles yet , just points . There are big ones there for sure , just not the norm . Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info . Pretty reasonable moose hunt IMO .

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I went with these guys https://newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com/ .

I have a mixed review of them , wasn't bad but could have been better . 6 guys in our our group , 5 killed bulls , 1 killed a cow . My dad went along and he's in horrible shape and back issues . They can accommodate pretty much any physical ability .

Don't plan on killing a monster . Most of the ones they get are younger bulls and don't have paddles yet , just points . There are big ones there for sure , just not the norm . Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info . Pretty reasonable moose hunt IMO .

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've looked at Newfoundland before, but always hesitated because of the difficulty of getting there and back. Did you fly, or take the ferry? How'd you get the meat home?

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Took the ferry . We pulled a small enclosed trailer with 2 or 3 chest freezers and generator . Also packed coolers along to put meat in as well . It was about a 2 week adventure .

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was thinking we'd have to do something like that. It just makes sense. I have a jeep wrangler, so there's no way we would be getting much more than our own gear in there. I have a small 5x10 utility trailer we would likely fill with coolers and pull there and back.

How many hours total did you guys drive to get to the camp? From what google maps is showing me it'd be 25 hours just to the ferry.

The ferry website doesn't show any duration of time for the ferry ride, do you remember what it took?

Last edited:

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    The place posted doesn't look bad. Another good option is to book through Cabelas or Steve's Outdoor Adventures on one of their many hunts available. One thing to keep in mind is the Covid BS has shutdown the border for Canadian hunts, it may or may not be open next season.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was talking with my father in law over the weekend. I think Newfoundland is out just because of the amount of travel time it'd take. I'm going to do some digging on what's straight north of us in Ontario and maybe Quebec.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've seen some Quebec outfitters advertise stand hunting for moose and much of the terrain seems less rugged and easier to get around in that other moose areas. Prices seem to be fairly low but the moose are not very big.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I found some really incredible advice in some facebook groups as well. Newfoundland absolutely sounds like the place to go to see a lot of moose. If you've got the time and $$ for the travel part of that I don't think you can go too far wrong there. I also found some remote fly in types of outfits in Ontario that have some great reviews and much more reasonable for an Indiana hunter to get there logistically and that saves a lot of time and money making the trip a lot more likely to go from a dream to a reality. I've contacted one of the Onatrio fly in outfits with an email and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Top Bottom