• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just ordered a Tethrd Phantom after doing some research and talking it over with my hunting partner. Other than the learning curve I really couldn't come up with any downsides. They seem comfortable enough, since we always hunt/film as a team we can effectively double the number of stand locations by purchasing one saddle and tether. If anything it should allow for better angles for filming, should present a smaller silhouette than two dudes in lock on stands and the camera guy has the option of rotating around the tree for better concealment.

I'm pretty excited to get it in and try it out, curious if anyone else hunts or has hunted out of one and what your thoughts are.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Keep us posted. I came 1/2 second from trying it out this year, but bought another lock on because its known. I think it would be amazing to get into a new area, get way up, scout, and fine tune without having to move a stand.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thought about it when I was younger but couldn't make the decision to spend the $ on the experiment at the time. At 60 now I'll be curious to hear your impressions but I'm prolly not gonna invest.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    A friend of mine used to use one many years ago. He loved it. I have been thinking about one after seeing so many ads for the Hawk version. I thought it would be good to use while taking kids or new hunters out. This way I could use more stand locations than just the couple of buddy stands I have. I will be interested in hearing what you think about it.

Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    Huh.....never seen this before but interesting. My first thought is that it might get uncomfortable after time and cause unnecessary movement. I can stay still and comfortable in my Summit for hours

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    None of our stands are particularly comfortable, some are worse than others mainly due to small size. We had over 20 stands up at our last lease, we can't afford to buy a bunch of the nice stands, I believe these cheap ones are less likely to get stolen as well.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I bought one about 7 years ago along with some lone wolf climbing sticks and ended up selling it before ever using it. All because I was watching a video about some guy in Michigan using it.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My first thought is that after time there will be unnecessary movement.

That sounds about right. I'm all for challenging yourself but some things are just counterproductive. Your gonna stick out like an extra toe in that. Not to mention the basic tree humping position.

Have fun!
    (I rarely get all Negative Nancy, but WTAF is this supposed to be good for?)

Tenderfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    The forgotten corner
    Good morning future saddle hunters.

Yes, I saddle hunt. I think my longest recline (aka “sit") has been a little over 6 hours and it ended not because of fatigue, but daylight end. My saddle set up is lighter and provides more diverse tree options than my Lone Wolf Alpha and climbing sticks. My traditional load out was a Lone Wolf Alpha and 6 Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

Tree assent / descent:
    There are many methods you may use to get to hunting height. You may use your current method be it climbing sticks, steps, bolts, or you may want to explore additional methods. I have chosen to leave my sticks behind and SRT (Single Rope Technique) for the assent and repel for the descent for most hunts. I do occasionally carry a single stick. This depends on my knowledge of the trees in my hunting area. I am currently trying what is called the 2TC (Two Tether Climb, see “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz0tgohrdcM”).

For preset hunts, instead of leaving a hang on and sticks in the tree, I leave a loop of paracord to pull my rope up for my SRT climb.

I am more comfortable in the saddle that in my Lone Wolf hang on. I believe that I fidget less as the day goes on because my ass does not get tired of the small fixed seat.

Equipment I use:
    Aerohunter Flex saddle
    Back band, this greatly adds comfort and reduces fidgeting.
    Predator platform
    Oplux rope with ascenders, friction hitches, and repelling equipment.
    CAUTION / WARNING! Incorrect knot / equipment / rope use is dangerous and may be fatal.

See www.saddlehunters.com for the ingo equivalent forum.
    The bottom line, I could be talked out of my Lone Wolf stand and sticks quite easily as they have not left the barn since I started saddle hunting.

Just watched the video posted in #18 while I was typing this and I agree with him. At 61 years, 260 #’s with size 13 boots and a desk jock, mouse chaser anyone can do this.

There is a robust classified section on saddlehunters that could save you a fair amount if you decide to give this a hang.

Definitely check out the channels that were mentioned in the video. They are all very helpful people.

Have a safe hunt,

Tenderfoot

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’ve never found our tree stands to be comfortable, I actually expect this will be more comfortable for me. As far as climbing, whoever is running the camera and using the saddle will climb up the sticks we have already attached to the trees. Once on the lock on I’ll stand on the seat and get the tether rope positioned as high as I can comfortably reach then hook up and “swing” around the back side. One lock and and on saddle is going to conceal a lot better than two lock on stands in the same tree which has been our usual approach. I don’t mind facing the tree.

At this point I’m not seeing any down sides but time will tell.

Top Bottom