• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Watched this movie last night. Basically two old guys decide to hike the Appalachian Trail.
    Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. (Have these guys aged)

I used to do a lot of hiking and it was pretty cool to see the scenery from that film.

Curious to hear if anyone has done this hike before and what their experience was like.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Watched this movie last night. Basically two old guys decide to hike the Appalachian Trail.
    Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. (Have these guys aged)

I used to do a lot of hiking and it was pretty cool to see the scenery from that film.

Curious to hear if anyone has done this hike before and what their experience was like.

When I lived in Virginia, I hiked parts of it. Day hikes only. I always thought that if I could take a sabbatical or got laid off and could afford it, I would have walked it. Maybe not through hike it, but at least do some sections. Though through hiking it is a worthy goal.

It is nice and a respite from the summer heat in the valley but you are not alone very much during prime season.

Oh, and if you are a reader at all, read the book.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    My wife and I did about 100 miles going north from Harpers Ferry. We did it to get my step-son used to it as he was going all the way north directly after high school. He had never hiked before but due to his Asperger's you couldn't change his mind! He finished the north half then went back when he graduated college and finished the south half! The trail was well kept and the scenery was awesome.
    My SIL did the thru hike years ago and that's what sparked his interest. The "trail angels" leave all kinds of useful things along the way. Go to Whiiteblaze.com for information.

Bob

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our family has hiked several parts in VA (Blue Ridge area), PA (Gettysburg area), and a few other stretches, times ranging from a week to a few hours.
    We were on the Blue Ridge when the gov shutdown happened. We brought so much extra food that we could resupply hikers who were depending on the now-closed camp stores, and we picked up an extra hiker halfway through who had equipment but no food.

Here we are at the halfway point:
    32186514_10216000856833045_1625294677974450176_o.jpg

And along the blue ridge:
    1385724_10202127122158349_476546053_n.jpg

1380068_10202127130318553_832298308_n.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Our family has hiked several parts in VA (Blue Ridge area), PA (Gettysburg area), and a few other stretches, times ranging from a week to a few hours.
    We were on the Blue Ridge when the gov shutdown happened. We brought so much extra food that we could resupply hikers who were depending on the now-closed camp stores, and we picked up an extra hiker halfway through who had equipment but no food.

We probably hiked some of the same areas. We lived in Winchester, VA and used to go over to Front Royal and hike from there.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We've done some sections in Tennessee and North Carolina, but to be honest, a through-hike has never really sounded like much fun to me. It's just too long doing the same thing.

It is beautiful, though, and I will continue doing sections.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    When I lived in Virginia, I hiked parts of it. Day hikes only. I always thought that if I could take a sabbatical or got laid off and could afford it, I would have walked it. Maybe not through hike it, but at least do some sections. Though through hiking it is a worthy goal.

It is nice and a respite from the summer heat in the valley but you are not alone very much during prime season.

Oh, and if you are a reader at all, read the book.

Spent a good deal of time around crab tree falls, priest and little priest mts.... beautiful area of Virginia.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Great feedback here. The shared pics are really good !
    I wasn't aware of the book prior to seeing this flick. It was a little cheesy for sure.

Will give the book a read. Thanks

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A high potential for a retirement bucket list item in a few years. Did more backpacking this year dialing in gear and skills. As long as I am enjoying myself and healthy I will likely attempt a thru hike.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Highly recommend the book over the movie. The scenery is nice but Bryson's book is hilarious.
    Never saw the movie, but the book was a good read.

Always wanted to try a thru hike but just could never swing it when younger. Have tried to walk on it anytime I'm in the same area as part of the trail.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A high potential for a retirement bucket list item in a few years. Did more backpacking this year dialing in gear and skills. As long as I am enjoying myself and healthy I will likely attempt a thru hike.

That's great. I'll have to see where I am at when I retire at 67-68. Will I be more like Redford or Nolte?:)

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I think I would like to try the thru hike. If I can retire from teaching in 12 years, I might give it a try. If not, I think my wife and I would do small sections at a time amyway.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Here we are at the halfway point:
    32186514_10216000856833045_1625294677974450176_o.jpg

And along the blue ridge:
    1385724_10202127122158349_476546053_n.jpg

1380068_10202127130318553_832298308_n.jpg
    Not sure who is who here but I can guess, the guy in the purple may need more calories, the ones in the middle may need less.
    This picture also proves that you don't have to give into the latest marketing claims to have a good time, those are some old school packs, I wish I hadn't given in to the claims.
    On a more serious note, did you ever find that the designated camping areas were a problem? I have always preferred a less communal campsite, even if it's designated, but more or less by yourself. The fact that you have to reach a shelter or certain area has kind of always put me off from this.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Not sure who is who here but I can guess, the guy in the purple may need more calories, the ones in the middle may need less.
    This picture also proves that you don't have to give into the latest marketing claims to have a good time, those are some old school packs, I wish I hadn't given in to the claims.
    On a more serious note, did you ever find that the designated camping areas were a problem? I have always preferred a less communal campsite, even if it's designated, but more or less by yourself. The fact that you have to reach a shelter or certain area has kind of always put me off from this.
    That was a posed pic, with half of us overjoyed and half depressed. Over the top drama.
    Some places along the trail allow camping anywhere near the trail. Others prohibit camping anywhere except designated areas. On the North Country Trail we found designated areas were sometimes full, and there were not a few campers that didn't know how to use a cat hole. Just outside the camp area were patches of toilet paper in too many places. Not so much on the AT. We found some "interesting" people camping in the more communal areas. The AT seems to attract folks who are on the edge of normal. The segments we usually hike on allow camping about anywhere, and we had a guidebook that listed available water sources, which is often the main limitation.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I also recommend reading the book. In a few ways it's better than the movie, although Bryson's "facts" regarding USFS and other government entities should be taken with a giant grain of salt.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Back in the 1970s-80s my father and I hiked all of the trail between Springer Mountain and I-40, and sections of Virginia and TN/NC.

My favorite was the Nantahala and Pisgah NF sections, lots of rugged climbs, views, and not so many people. And some nice side action near Brevard, NC along the Blue Ridge.

Unfortunately no interest from my wife and daughter in such activity... :(

The book is a nice intro to the AT, but Bryson really didn't get into the whole outdoors experience IMO.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I hiked the trail in 2019 in 6 months 12 days. Not the fastest to be sure,but I was not in great shape at the start. I also did things like hop a train into Washington DC.
    I learned the value of trekking poles.
    About why having a raincoat was valuable on a windy day(down jackets do almost nothing to block 40+mph wind).
    Sock liners are worth the weight.
    When you start a solo hike you know no one. A month in you will know people well enough to consider them your trail family. By two months in you will see"old" friends again. It is amazing to meet someone early on and not see them for a month and run into them again. It adds to the feeling of community. That said hike your own hike.

Weather. You have a choice. You can suffer knowing somewhere there is hot shower, recliner, and warm(or cool) bug free bed waiting for you...or you can become a kid again and simply not care. Every time you slip in the mud or on a wet rock if you decided to not care you just keep going, if you think about home you will go mad. I saw it happen.

The trail is your obstacle, your friend, your worst enemy , a companion, an empty space , it can bring out and present you with beauty beyond words or turn the smallest pain to dread. It depends on the day.

If you think it is something you will preplan and do x miles a day and finish in x number of days realize it probably will not happen the way you think. Resupply planning is a skillset to be sure though. Some are great at it others on trail are terrible. I was ok,but also had a buffer of 2 days extra food in my pack. I carried to much food,but then again I always had it to give when someone else had run out.

Ultralight to me means you expect me to carry anything you will need. From toenail clippers(a key piece of gear if you value having toenails) to your supper. I never saw an ultra light mile oriented hiker who was enjoying their hike. They were not having fun,and making friends. Most seemed to be focused on finishing the trail from the day they started(most did not finish).That said with food and water my summer pack weight dropped to 35lb.

You of course have the party kids. Some in college some just out. Many consider the trail just that,a 6 month party their parents are paying for. They will call an uber to avoid a tough peak and hitch hike ahead on the trail to find a better place to party. Be friendly to them as they will help you out in unexpected ways,but do not hang out with them very often.We saw one group over and over for 4 months as they skipped ahead and we would catch up to them again...at the end one of them told me when they saw us they knew it was time to move ahead again. Yes they even asked for pictures and PAID for them...to send to mom and dad. I did not sell them any,but others did. For them it really was a 6 month paid for party.

I learned how far I could be pushed in every way. How to enjoy little things again. I regained my childhood marvel at the world and my faith in humanity(trail angels and total strangers helped me on my journey). Not joking about that last one.

I was at a post office in a decent size city in PA to pick up a care package sent to me and still needed to run to the grocery store. It was 8 miles away. 4 of us standing in the post office talking about how to get there...and the post master says just take my car. I reminded him none of us had been behind the wheel of a car in months and he handed me the keys "Just be back by 4pm so I can go home". That night in the same town 4 of us where eating at a Mexican place and a random guy just walks up and asks if we where through hikers(we looked and smelled the part to be sure)then paid for out dinner. Things like that happened almost weekly.

Anyway if you have any specific questions ask or PM me.
    I tried to post some pictures, but it is not working loading them from my PC. I will try to figure it out.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hiked the trail in 2019 in 6 months 12 days. Not the fastest to be sure,but I was not in great shape at the start. I also did things like hop a train into Washington DC.
    I learned the value of trekking poles.
    About why having a raincoat was valuable on a windy day(down jackets do almost nothing to block 40+mph wind).
    Sock liners are worth the weight.
    When you start a solo hike you know no one. A month in you will know people well enough to consider them your trail family. By two months in you will see"old" friends again. It is amazing to meet someone early on and not see them for a month and run into them again. It adds to the feeling of community. That said hike your own hike.

Weather. You have a choice. You can suffer knowing somewhere there is hot shower, recliner, and warm(or cool) bug free bed waiting for you...or you can become a kid again and simply not care. Every time you slip in the mud or on a wet rock if you decided to not care you just keep going, if you think about home you will go mad. I saw it happen.

The trail is your obstacle, your friend, your worst enemy , a companion, an empty space , it can bring out and present you with beauty beyond words or turn the smallest pain to dread. It depends on the day.

If you think it is something you will preplan and do x miles a day and finish in x number of days realize it probably will not happen the way you think. Resupply planning is a skillset to be sure though. Some are great at it others on trail are terrible. I was ok,but also had a buffer of 2 days extra food in my pack. I carried to much food,but then again I always had it to give when someone else had run out.

Ultralight to me means you expect me to carry anything you will need. From toenail clippers(a key piece of gear if you value having toenails) to your supper. I never saw an ultra light mile oriented hiker who was enjoying their hike. They were not having fun,and making friends. Most seemed to be focused on finishing the trail from the day they started(most did not finish).That said with food and water my summer pack weight dropped to 35lb.

You of course have the party kids. Some in college some just out. Many consider the trail just that,a 6 month party their parents are paying for. They will call an uber to avoid a tough peak and hitch hike ahead on the trail to find a better place to party. Be friendly to them as they will help you out in unexpected ways,but do not hang out with them very often.We saw one group over and over for 4 months as they skipped ahead and we would catch up to them again...at the end one of them told me when they saw us they knew it was time to move ahead again. Yes they even asked for pictures and PAID for them...to send to mom and dad. I did not sell them any,but others did. For them it really was a 6 month paid for party.

I learned how far I could be pushed in every way. How to enjoy little things again. I regained my childhood marvel at the world and my faith in humanity(trail angels and total strangers helped me on my journey). Not joking about that last one.

I was at a post office in a decent size city in PA to pick up a care package sent to me and still needed to run to the grocery store. It was 8 miles away. 4 of us standing in the post office talking about how to get there...and the post master says just take my car. I reminded him none of us had been behind the wheel of a car in months and he handed me the keys "Just be back by 4pm so I can go home". That night in the same town 4 of us where eating at a Mexican place and a random guy just walks up and asks if we where through hikers(we looked and smelled the part to be sure)then paid for out dinner. Things like that happened almost weekly.

Anyway if you have any specific questions ask or PM me.
    I tried to post some pictures, but it is not working loading them from my PC. I will try to figure it out.

This is a great post! If only...I would consult with you and do it. Well written. Thanks for taking the time to write this and offer your assistance.

Top Bottom