• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    went out to wilbur wright today to do some bowfishing and ended up shooting 5 carp but my arrow pulled out of all of them but one. the one i managed to reel all the way in was my biggest at 18lbs and 28inches long.

PIC_0017.jpg

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i dont eat them. this one i am getting stuffed. from what i have heard is they have an extreme fishy taste more than salmon and trout.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    carp is about the only thing you can shoot with bow in indiana, other than gar and other types of carp. ill eventually have every fish thats is legal to bowfish mounted

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    setup

Where do you find the carp when it's this cold? I do quite a bit of bowfishing around Noblesville, but not until summer. We get some big carp, and usually miss the suckers. We don't keep them, there are usually others around fishing that gladly take them off our hands for us. There are some nice "spot and stalk" areas just below the dam on Morse resevoire though if you ever get around this area. Congrats on a nice kill. Now you just need to get up in Northern Indiana and get a nice gar off of Wawasee. I've speared a few, but yet to get one with my bow.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i walk the big blue river out in henry county. the fish are limited on where they can go. its shallow roughly 3ft and when you get to end of the property its about 3 inches if that.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    all i use is a parker sidekick compound with an AMS reel with carbon splined arrows, cajun sting-a-ree tip with muzzy carp point with 200#test dacron line

im getting ready to switch to a different bow somthing that will cope with water alittle better.

if you want to learn alittle more or talk about it hit me up on aim or yahoo messenger or shoot me a pm

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Nice Fish! My dad used to get carp from some guys in Fort Wayne 25-30yrs ago, gut and take out the "mud vein" and smoke them and take the guys. Not too bad from what he said, I was real young at the time. back to themNever done any bowfishing, think it'd be fun. Would really like to try the Asian Carp that jump out of the water in the wake of a boat. I've seen videos and it looks like a blast.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    all i use is a parker sidekick compound with an AMS reel with carbon splined arrows, cajun sting-a-ree tip with muzzy carp point with 200#test dacron line

im getting ready to switch to a different bow somthing that will cope with water alittle better.

if you want to learn alittle more or talk about it hit me up on aim or yahoo messenger or shoot me a pm

Thanks for the info. :yesway:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    going out today, i hope i can get one, in the cold they move slower but their scales are harder and the arrow bounces off easier.

NateR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Greenfield, In
    Nice shot, I've been on that ditch when running my beagles. I've considered picking up the sport to keep the bow hand steady in the off season, but haven't purchased the fishing setup for my Hoyt yet. I thought about trying in a small lake east of Knightstown. It's a water shed, and about half the lake is only 3 ft deep that houses a ton of carp. I'm not at all up to date on Indiana bow fishing laws, you might give that lake a shot when the ice clears?

pokey308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    New Palestine, IN
    Indiana is pretty fickle on their bowfishing laws. Only rough fish are game i.e. carp, gar, suckers, drum. Then when it comes to night fishing there are only certain bodies of water where you can do it. most ponds and lakes are legal for night, but rivers have to be a certain cubic flow per second. Plus on top of all that there are a lot of public lakes that don't allow it do to them added certain infertile species of carp to control vegitation growth, along with they don't want someone shooting fish cause it "looks bad" for the sport of fishing. But, on the up side it isn't a very popular in IN so most of the good spots don't get a lot of pressure from other bowfishermen. On buying a setup for your hunting I wouldn't advise it.

When it comes to bowfishing modern hunting bows are just that hunting bows. They are designed for pushing fast speeds low, let-offs, high draw weights, ect. Bowfishing doesn't require any of those things. Most guys dont shoot higher than a 40# draw, I shoot at 35# which is more than enough to stick carp in about 2ft of water. My best advise to you is to fine a used recurve in the 35-45# range off ebay and put a set up on that and go stick some fish. If ya have any questions feel free to pm me as in I am the one that got Marc set up and into the world of fish sticking.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Nice carp. I really like bow fishing think i will try that area myself. I had a friend that would cook them on a grill and I would give them to him. He told me to try it one day but I did not want to but did since he ask and it really was not that bad. Do not think it will become a weekly deal but I will eat one or two each year. Maybe see you out there, not to many bow fishers running around anymore.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Nice carp. I really like bow fishing think i will try that area myself. I had a friend that would cook them on a grill and I would give them to him. He told me to try it one day but I did not want to but did since he ask and it really was not that bad. Do not think it will become a weekly deal but I will eat one or two each year. Maybe see you out there, not to many bow fishers running around anymore.

hit me up if you ever want to go out there

sharpshot82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have always wanted to try bow fishing, but don't know much about it. Anyone got in sites that might help me get started in the right direction?

Top Bottom