Are White River fish really dangerous to eat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I did a search for this and came up with 0 results.

I hear a lot of hype about the danger of eating fish out of white river.

My question is this: Is this hype, or is it genuinely dangerous to eat fish (say, catfish...) from White River?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I hear the same - not sure but don't you remember the investigation that was done a few years back? All of those companies were dumping toxic chemicals in the river; it was killing the fish off in droves.

I know some people that eat carp out of there, carp alone is nasty let alone out of that river.

I know people that fish there but would never eat what they catch.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    My rule of thumb: If you wouldn't drink the (untreated) water where the fish lives, don't eat the fish....

No, I would not eat any fish caught from the White River, especially from south of Noblesville on down.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    "Dis fish has 3 eyes and smells kinda funny, but I hopes it'll cook out otay"

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    My rule of thumb: If you wouldn't drink the (untreated) water where the fish lives, don't eat the fish....

No, I would not eat any fish caught from the White River, especially from south of Noblesville on down.

Hmm...I'm not a fan of drinking water from any lake or pond, but I've eaten a lot of fish from places like Monroe and such.

hmm. Any other thoughts?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I did a search for this and came up with 0 results.

I hear a lot of hype about the danger of eating fish out of white river.

My question is this: Is this hype, or is it genuinely dangerous to eat fish (say, catfish...) from White River?
    First of all, you looked in the wrong place.
    ISDH: Fish Consumption Advisory

Second of all, even if the water was clean, the danger could still exist. The water is not the issue. You don't eat the water, you eat the flesh. The issue is what is in the flesh that is bad for you.

In cases like this, the Apex predators are the worst to eat, so if the fish are bad, eating the Eagle is worse. This is how DDT came to an end. DDT accumulated in Eagles, the shells of their eggs were too thin, cracked, and the young died, the Eagle declined. (FYI Eagle is delicious)

So if you eat fish from waters with a warning, better to eat fish farther down the food chain, like a Bluegill or Perch. If you eat an apex predator like a large Pike, Bass, Catfish, do not eat the belly fat, trim it off. More pesticides will reside there than anywhere else.

You can be in very clean waters and find there is a Mercury warning on fish consumption.

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    First of all, you looked in the wrong place.
    ISDH: Fish Consumption Advisory

Second of all, even if the water was clean, the danger could still exist. The water is not the issue. You don't eat the water, you eat the flesh. The issue is what is in the flesh that is bad for you.

In cases like this, the Apex predators are the worst to eat, so if the fish are bad, eating the Eagle is worse. This is how DDT came to an end. DDT accumulated in Eagles, the shells of their eggs were too thin, cracked, and the young died, the Eagle declined. (FYI Eagle is delicious)

So if you eat fish from waters with a warning, better to eat fish farther down the food chain, like a Bluegill or Perch. If you eat an apex predator like a large Pike, Bass, Catfish, do not eat the belly fat, trim it off. More pesticides will reside there than anywhere else.

You can be in very clean waters and find there is a Mercury warning on fish consumption.

Good input, thanks! Also pretty consistent with what I just found online.

I just found this: http://www.friendsofwhiteriver.org/whiteriver/resources/fishPoster-letter.pdf

Found that interesting and informative. I certainly don't intend to eat many fish from the white river, if at all. Just curious as to the actual risk or if it's inflated. Fish guys tend to exaggerate a bit :D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It is no different from lead build up in a shooters blood.

Scary thing is I just read that DNR doc, been awhile since I have. A couple waters I use to fish are now DO NOT EAT. Sad but true. When my Ex was pregnant, I paid close attention to fish in her diet, both those I caught and when we ate out.

FYI the kid turned out smart. The Ex is book smart but still a dip**** the fish had no noticeable affect.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    The fish are safe to eat. Keep in mind that older larger fish will have higher mercury levels than smaller younger fish.... Would I eat a 50lb catfish.... no.. they're not as clean tasting imo.... would I eat a 10-15lb catfish out of the river... yes. Unless you eat fish out of the river on a daily basis you don't have to worry about it. Just my :twocents:

I have eaten plenty of fish out of the river.. There are still plenty of commercial fishermen that catch fish out of the river... and I would put money on the fact that you have eaten fish out of the river and didn't even know it lol

I wouldn't worry about it.

-dcary7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Ugh... I've read of many towns/cities that have sewage dumps or overflows during heavy rains that go directly into the river. Delaware County, up-river from Noblesville got in some trouble a while back for the overflow dumping.

I wouldn't eat it.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Something you can do if you're that worried about it.... set up a large "fish tank" and let whatever you catch swim in the clean water for 24-48 hours... it'll help flush their system... That is what I am told at least. Like I said for smaller fish I wouldn't worry about it at all.

:):

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Something you can do if you're that worried about it.... set up a large "fish tank" and let whatever you catch swim in the clean water for 24-48 hours... it'll help flush their system... That is what I am told at least. Like I said for smaller fish I wouldn't worry about it at all.

:):

It's an interesting thought and I wonder how well it would work (ie, how much time it would actually take)

I know that we've fished a river in KY (cleaner river, mind you) and put the catfish in ponds on our farm. Catching them a few years later, and cleaning them results in very white clean meat. Dirty fish CAN be made clean, but I don't know how long it takes.

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I think what alot of people remember about the river is that they have heard of all the sewage that has been dumped into it. I think that today there alot more requlations placed on what is placed into the river. I know that I live south of Bloomington and that river is actualy clean in this area. There are several white perch that are caught in this area. White perch can not live in contaminated water. Just my 2 cents

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    so many ounces per week inner city fish.different forks of the river are cleaner.i got black friends that been eating them and carp.i wouldnt eat at there house that day,but i consider them as good as me or any one.

Top Bottom