• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I posted this here because I'd like input from some of the representatives of the various stores, as well as input from the rest of INGO. Mods, move it if this isn't acceptable.

What is the best way of building a relationship at an LGS? I'm talking about being the guy who walks in to the shop and is known by his name. The guy the employees talk to all the time and sometimes they throw him a discount or let him handle the newest whiz-bang Blaster 5000 before it hits the shelf.

There are some who are fortunate enough to be in the shop buying something every week, and I assume they eventually grow to be well-known.

But what about someone who doesn't have a lot of money to plop down all of the time? Is there really any love for the guy who just comes in wanting to talk? I've heard some gun store employees talk about how they can't stand "that guy who comes in and sits around and never buys anything."

So how about it LGS reps and fellow INGOers? What's the secret?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Spend money every single time. Even if it's only $5 - buy something! We sell stuff for a living and if you're the guy who shows the effort to help us keep the lights on, we'll love you for it.

And ask questions. Lots of 'em. Don't be scared to **** chat. Every LGS worker will tell you there are douchebags that come in and they watched an internet video so they're a Delta Seal Ranger now. Don't be that guy, but be a guy that says, "I saw ______ shoot this gun. Is that a good gun or is this other one better?" And then do like folks suggested in that other thread. Shop around, compare prices, let us know what you're looking for.

..... and just be honest.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems to me, much of this comes down to personalities and/or people skills. Some people have never met a stranger, some people just aren't good at interactions, and some people are just jerks ---- on both sides of the counter.

I don't trade. I buy and keep...and not very often -- just when the gun fund replenishes itself enough to satisfy the next itch. So, the likelihood of any LGS getting to know me all that well, as you describe, is probably not very good.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Spend money every single time. Even if it's only $5 - buy something! We sell stuff for a living and if you're the guy who shows the effort to help us keep the lights on, we'll love you for it.

And ask questions. Lots of 'em. Don't be scared to **** chat. Every LGS worker will tell you there are douchebags that come in and they watched an internet video so they're a Delta Seal Ranger now. Don't be that guy, but be a guy that says, "I saw ______ shoot this gun. Is that a good gun or is this other one better?" And then do like folks suggested in that other thread. Shop around, compare prices, let us know what you're looking for.

Which store do you work at MHS? I see you're from Bedford.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This and just develop a friendly relationship with the employees/owners.

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    I think this is pretty self explanatory, but then again I'm a professional saleman :D

Just go in often and shoot the ***** and don't be 'that guy'. I've made a couple good shooting buddies at gun shops over the past few years, just by hanging out and buying a few things. Then when it comes to buying guns, they'll work with me more readily than if I was just Joe Shmo.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Stop in frequently. Ask intelligent questions, and let us know the types of stuff you like. Be genuine and friendly. Spend some money every now and then. Bring your buddies in.

I see a LOT of customers. I recognize faces, but am TERRIBLE with names. The customers I know and greet by name are the ones who have been coming in a long time, doing some combination of the above.

Oh yeah, and you can also win us over with food. :) NOTHING makes my day more than when one of our regulars unexpectedly brings me Starbucks, or buys pizza for the crew. Just sayin'. ;)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am lucky enough, even with my not always pleasant demeanor and sub par people skills, to have been able to form this type of relationship with the guys and gals at Bradis. Mostly just by coming in talking learning their sense of humor and they mine and joking around. Learn their names before they learn yours. Then they will be more motivated to remember you so as not to feel awkward. Oh and spend just a little bit of cash every time. Even if it's just a box of ammo. Although last year I didn't really have the time or money to stop in as regularly as I would have liked and honestly miss it a lot. Definitely some of the best people around central IN. I did catch Dave the other day here in town and got caught up a little. But I need to go see those guys again soon for sure.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have done pretty well by following MohawkSlim's advice. I try to buy a box of ammo every time I go in. $5 gets you some .22 or 12ga, and you start building a relationship along with your ammo stash. How often do you make larger purchases? I try to make one a year or so, and because of my prior dealings, I have yet to not get a discount. Heck, during the panic I was still able to source .22 at reasonable rates because I was a steady CUSTOMER. Not just a tire kicker. I decided that the relationship with two guys within spitting distance was worth spending 2-6% more than online or driving across town.

Bottom line: if I don't have $5-10 dollars in disposable income, I don't go into a gun store that day. Keeps me from to much exposure to temptation, and let's the proprietor know that I am a paying customer; not one of the know-it-all douche-bags that lean on the counter for two hours before leaving nothing but handling wear on every gun in the store.

Another rant tangent: If you have no plans to buy a weapon, and you have already seen one, PLEASE don't go in every two days and spin the cylinder/rack the slide/toss on the counter/etc. until you decide to buy it and then ask for a new one in the box. This does nothing but hurt the shop owner unless someone overlooks the wear and buys it anyway. I have gotten some good deals this way, but at the expense of the shop's margins. I get it: the main idea of having a physical inventory is so people can see things in the flesh, but geez. . . .

/rant. . . :)::)::):

Top Bottom