• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know of a range that's closer than Greenwood or Westfield to shoot rifle? I wasn't able to get to Atturbury this weekend, so I'm looking for a quick trip.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    wilbur wright in new castle and its free

Good option, but it's over 45 minutes further away from Indy than either Greenwood or Westfield.

Geek, if you really want to shoot rifle, unfortunately, you're probably gonna have to drive for it.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Good option, but it's over 45 minutes further away from Indy than either Greenwood or Westfield.

Geek, if you really want to shoot rifle, unfortunately, you're probably gonna have to drive for it.

-Nate

Where do you come up with that wildly inflated number?
    I work in Greenfield, and there have been several occasions that I've gone straight to the the Wilbur Wright range from work, and total drive time comes out to somewhere around 45 minutes total, taking I-70 -> IN-3 -> IN-38 (AKA Broad Street) -> IN-103, and I work clear over on the far southwest edge of town in Greenfield.
    It's open Wednesday-Sunday 8AM-5PM, holidays included, and the only beef I have is that the rifle range is 50 yards instead of 100 yards.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Gosh, I guess I figure the guy lives in "Indy", and with no more information than that, I know that it is about an hour to New Castle. Since it's about 20 minutes to Greenwood, I reckon that puts me at about 40 minutes difference. If you want to argue and call me out for over 5 minutes difference...

As far as your quoting times for drive from SW Greenfield....you do know that Greenfield A) is not Indianapolis, and (B) is CLOSER to New Castle than is Indy?

Despite a shorter geographic distance, you are still probably correct about Westfield, given the traffic BS up there. (But who the hell wants to go to Hamilton County for much of anything anyway!?)

In any case, I still say that if you really want to shoot "rifle", then you're probably gonna have to drive outside Marion County, and in most people's case, outside the halo counties as well.

-Nate

Last edited:

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I'm in Cumberland, and have been to Fall Creek once. I really liked it. I am considering joining it. I want to go out and see Wilbur Wright first. Both are only about an hour from me, and I prefer to stay off the interstate as much as possible so they suit my needs. I also vastly prefer outdoor shooting to indoors. That being said, Highsmith in Greenfield is a very nice place, friendly folks.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I work in Greenfield, and there have been several occasions that I've gone straight to the the Wilbur Wright range from work, and total drive time comes out to somewhere around 45 minutes total, taking I-70 -> IN-3 -> IN-38 (AKA Broad Street) -> IN-103, and I work clear over on the far southwest edge of town in Greenfield.
    It's open Wednesday-Sunday 8AM-5PM, holidays included, and the only beef I have is that the rifle range is 50 yards instead of 100 yards.
    How many shooters can Wilbur's handgun range accomodate? My only concern since it's free is overcrowding on Saturdays...Thanks

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm in Cumberland, and have been to Fall Creek once. I really liked it. I am considering joining it. I want to go out and see Wilbur Wright first. Both are only about an hour from me, and I prefer to stay off the interstate as much as possible so they suit my needs. I also vastly prefer outdoor shooting to indoors. That being said, Highsmith in Greenfield is a very nice place, friendly folks.
    Can't shoot anything more than a .22lr there though. And they aren't too friendly with reloads. Their ventilation just can't handle the smoke. Granted I was shooting lubed RNL from my 45. I'm sure plated would be less smokey.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I've yet to find an indoor range that allows steel or aluminum because of their reload company which is why I'd rather shoot outdoors. I'm still considering Fall Creek but the initial $110 membership for the first year is too steep for me right now.

Top Bottom