• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, I'm changing jobs, and with that comes the loss of my ability to use my former boss's property in Brown County for shooting. Looking to find a (preferably) private club to join within and hour of Indy. I really need someplace that's got more than 100 yard range. Price isn't as much of a concern as safety, cleanliness, etc. We need a place to shoot at > 100 yards (ideally 300+, at the end of last year I was shooting at 360 yards, and would like to get out to 450+ this year). Family memberships would be great as I have 2 kids how will be shooting with me. Rifle and pistol ranges.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no idea as we use private property as well. Lots of luck in this. I am sure members will chime in but your distance requirements might push you out past the 1 Hr. travel mark.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I thought that as well. I've been up to Winamac (have family in town there), but the 2 hour+ drive is a bit much, and it's only out to 200 yards (at least last time I was up there).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It depends on where you are at in Indy bur from certain areas Proteq would be within an hour. They are the only place I can think of that kind of meets your criteria. I'm sure some Indy guys will come along soon. I'm not sure how you get into Atterbury where you could obviously get the distance you are looking for.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I went last year just before Thanksgivings, and they had about 6 100 yards ranges, and some 50's, and a large pistol range. Did we miss a different part of the range?

Also, I'm on the NE side of Indy, but I'll look into Proteq and see what they have to offer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went last year just before Thanksgivings, and they had about 6 100 yards ranges, and some 50's, and a large pistol range. Did we miss a different part of the range?

Also, I'm on the NE side of Indy, but I'll look into Proteq and see what they have to offer.

I believe the military only side has serious distance.

Protec came to mind just after I posted and it is just minutes north if an hour roll out for use and I live in Speedway-ish area. It would be half again that for you but it is a very cool place. I believe they have 300+ available but you have to qualify to use it last I heard.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's what I read too (regarding the Long Lane). I messaged them this morning, asking if they offered a tour of the facilities before becoming a member since they don't offer guest passes (that doesn't hurt my feelings at all). Say's 1:20 from door to door, that's within the acceptable time span for me. Curious what the written test would cover for access to the Long Lane, figured it would be a proficiency test rather than written one.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    My niece, and husband, over in Ohio found a local farmer that sells a VERRY limited number of memberships, 30, to access his property. Its $1000 a year for a family but they can shoot most times without seeing anyone. Great deal for the farmer also. That pays a lot of property taxes.

I have shot with them in the past but it's a 2+ hour drive each way.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My niece, and husband, over in Ohio found a local farmer that sells a VERRY limited number of memberships, 30, to access his property. Its $1000 a year for a family but they can shoot most times without seeing anyone. Great deal for the farmer also. That pays a lot of property taxes.

Would be a nice option, but I think $1K a year is a bit outa the range I consider reasonable for a "membership" to shoot. I've thought about asking my family up in Winamac if they know some farm land we might be able to shoot at as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

One of the places we gather (:shady:) is 90 minutes both ways. But we have 410 yds to use. Plus a decent pistol range. But it is private of course. Just saying, the drive is all part of it.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    One of the places we gather (:shady:) is 90 minutes both ways. But we have 410 yds to use. Plus a decent pistol range. But it is private of course. Just saying, the drive is all part of it.

Understood. Certainly for the right type of place the extra drive would be worth it. Was just posting sort of a...wish list. I want to break out the Lapua this spring, and a quarter mile is my next goal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understood. Certainly for the right type of place the extra drive would be worth it. Was just posting sort of a...wish list. I want to break out the Lapua this spring, and a quarter mile is my next goal.

This Frank Zappa tune comes to mind....."I might be moving to Montana soon"

:):

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It's probably a little our of your 1 hour distance requirement but there is a nice range just south of Richmond by a couple of miles. It has an outdoor pistol range that goes out to 25 yards with several target stands that you can place anywhere. The first rifle range is right beside that and has fixed target stands at 50, 75 and 100 yards. The second rifle range has pop up targets behind a huge berm (think non automated, manual army targets) at 200 yards. There is also a small hump 100 yards away to shoot prone from if you like. The third rifle range is 300 yards and shoots at the same set of targets. The firing position for this one is down range and off to the left of the first 100 yard targets. The 300 has specific days that it takes priority since the fields of fire cross. There is also a skeet and sporting clay range. All firing positions are covered with the exception of the midway 100 yard hump.

There is also an indoor pistol range that you can get a key for. I think it's 20 yards. It has about 10 stations, good ventilation and lighting. No rifles other than rimfire, no large magnum handguns.

Price for just the outdoor is $75 a year with $10 initiation fee your first year. To add the indoor is $50 per year. They require a current NRA membership. You can take family, friends and guests anytime. I've been a member there for several years and if you want to go check it out or take it for a test shoot then let me know. I'll see if I can get some overhead screen shots of the place.

https://www.otrpc.com

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Overview of the entire area. At the top is the pop up targets for the 200 and 300 yard range. There is a road where you can drive behind the berm. The shelter area is in the middle as well as the trap section. 100 yard targets are at the bottom.
    Screenshot from 2018-02-25 15-55-51.jpg

200 & 300 yard targets
    Screenshot from 2018-02-25 16-01-59.jpg

Trap and shelter in the center. The pistol & 100 yard rifle off to the right. The 200 yard covered position on the very left.
    Screenshot from 2018-02-25 16-02-22.png

The 100 yard rifle targets. The pistol targets are off to the side and under the trees. The 300 yard firing line is on the right under the trees.
    Screenshot from 2018-02-25 16-03-15.png

The pistol range with the 100 yard rifle on the right. The fixed target stand just to the right of the pistol berm is the 25, next the 50 and 75 (can't see the 75 in picture) and the 100 is right in front of the dirt wall. The 300 yard firing position is all the way at the back, off to the left of the targets about 50 yards into the woods. It's elevated a bit.
    rimg.jpeg

I don't have any pictures from the 300 yard position. It has certain days & times where it takes priority. The other shooting positions are roped off so no one can access them since the 300 firing lane crosses the others. You can still shoot the others if no one is at the 300 but if someone shows up they get priority. I've been a member for at least 5 years and have only seen someone at the 300 once. They do have competitions that utilize it throughout the month, those are posted in the calender on the website and in the monthly newsletter you get in the mail.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's probably a little our of your 1 hour distance requirement but there is a nice range just south of Richmond by a couple of miles. It has an outdoor pistol range that goes out to 25 yards with several target stands that you can place anywhere. The first rifle range is right beside that and has fixed target stands at 50, 75 and 100 yards. The second rifle range has pop up targets behind a huge berm (think non automated, manual army targets) at 200 yards. There is also a small hump 100 yards away to shoot prone from if you like. The third rifle range is 300 yards and shoots at the same set of targets. The firing position for this one is down range and off to the left of the first 100 yard targets. The 300 has specific days that it takes priority since the fields of fire cross. There is also a skeet and sporting clay range. All firing positions are covered with the exception of the midway 100 yard hump.

There is also an indoor pistol range that you can get a key for. I think it's 20 yards. It has about 10 stations, good ventilation and lighting. No rifles other than rimfire, no large magnum handguns.

Price for just the outdoor is $75 a year with $10 initiation fee your first year. To add the indoor is $50 per year. They require a current NRA membership. You can take family, friends and guests anytime. I've been a member there for several years and if you want to go check it out or take it for a test shoot then let me know. I'll see if I can get some overhead screen shots of the place.

That's some great info! It's only 1:15 door to door per google, looks really nice and seems to meet all my "wish list" options. I may very well take up on the offer to check the place out. Thanks! +rep

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel

EXCELLENT info. Thanks.

Top Bottom