• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Now we have the Marlin model 60:

Originally the model 99 designed in 1959, was changed slightly to make the model 60 in 1960. These guns are solid little .22s that were sold under the marlin and glenfield names but were also sold under Sears, JC Penny, and several other department stores of the era which most would find today to be laughable. This gun is blowback operated and feeds from a tube magazine under the barrel. This particular example was given to me by my father's girlfriend's father, who apparently thought highly enough of me leave to me this firearm, among others, upon his untimely passing. This example is a newer model that he purchased only a few short years before his passing, but I remember him dotting one inch circle targets at RangeMaster in Chesterton during what I recall (if memory serves me) to be his last range outing. So while this gun isn't particularly valuable, it holds sentimental value for me. The Marlin model 60 is the quintessential .22 rifle. It is an economical design that if taken care of will last a lifetime or more.

With this project I will be adding some special touches to this gun, in other threads I will be refinishing the stock, adding different sights, adding a sling, and transforming this little plinker into a nice short range trainer.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Disassembly:

Start by removing the stock, remove this screw:

Then this screw:

Now lift the stock off of the action:

Place your finger over this bushing:

And remove this screw:

Remove the trigger assembly from the stock:

Using a punch drive the first trigger pin out of the trigger guard:

As you draw out the punch place your finger over the spring so it doesn't fly to parts unknown:

Remove the spring:

Drive out the second pin:

Lift the trigger out of the trigger guard as you draw out the punch:

Drive out the safety spring retaining pin:

With the punch in place above the spring place your finger over the hole and draw the punch out:

The spring and detent should drop out into your hand:

Remove the safety:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Remove the magazine follower:

Drive out this pin in the magazine tube ring:

Pull the tube forward and out of the receiver, and out if the gun:

Remove the screw that retains the front sight:

Using a brass drift drive out the magazine tube ring:

Using a brass drift drive out the rear sight:

What looks kind of like a screw here is actually a pin, remove it from the receiver:

Lifting from the rear first, remove this subframe:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    For the purposes of this guide I will be referring to this sub-assembly and it's parts using this orientation:

Starting from the bottom, remove the extension spring from the bolt release:

Obtain a sophisticated tool like a piece of a paper clip:

Place the paper clip into the hammer strut by compressing the spring slightly:

Remove the C-clips that retain the pins of the sub-frame, some models have these pins preeminently mounted in the other side:

This pin should have one, but it was lost, I'm assuming years ago, the rifle still functions fine so I'm not too worried about it:

After removing the clips, lift the side plate off the bolt release comes out too:

Remove the bullet guide, lifter and spring:

Remove the buffer:

Remove the hammer, hammer spring, hammer strut, and retainer:

Remove the sear, sear spring, and bolt release spring:

Remove the trigger connector spring:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Remove the bolt handle by pulling back on the bolt and slightly dropping the bolt face:

Lift the bolt handle right out:

Pull the bolt to the rear and lift the face out of the bottom of the receiver:

Remove the recoil spring and it's guide:

From the bottom of the bolt remove the extractors by pushing out the pins one at a time:

While drawing out the pin place your finger over the extractor:

Remove the extractor:

And it's spring:

And again for the other side:

Drive out the firing pin retaining pin:

Remove the firing pin and roller:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Thanks again. As an aside, I bought one of these in about 1975. The first rifle I had to order parts for due to my amateur hour "improvements". Just sold it last year. Was a good learning experience.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    All of the "dime store" .22s are great for learning some basic gunsmithing skills on.
    Can't go wrong with the Marlin model 60 or 795, Remington 597, any of the savage .22s, and of course the Ruger 10/22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never taken a marlin 60 down that far before. That's a great resource for a guy like me.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Reassembly,

In order to keep this post brief I will be covering the places where you can really get stuck on reassembly. I have a feeling that most don't read the reassembly portions of these threads and just reverse the disassembly portion, and for the most part you can do just that.

Here's some places where you can get hung up.

The sub-frame assembly:

Replace the trigger connector spring:

Assemble the hammer, hammer spring, and hammer spring retainer using your sophisticated tool:

Place the hammer assembly into the sub-frame:

Place the sear halfway onto its stud:

Place the sear spring and the bolt release spring onto the post:

Place the leg of the sear spring behind this post:

Place the lifter spring on its post:

Place the lifter on its post with the hammer assembly:

Place the leg of the lifter spring into the slot in the bullet guide and place the bullet guide in its place in the sub-assembly:

Place the buffer on to its stud:

Place the bolt release into the side plate:

Place the C-clip into the bolt stop:

Place the side plate onto the sub-frame:

Be sure that the sophisticated tool sticks out of the hole:

Replace the C-clips:

And pull out the tool:

Now the subframe is fully assembled:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Thank you very much. Please continue to post as you make improvements. I have one that I would like to improve as well.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    very cool I never even thought of taking mine apart. I just spay it clean with carb cleaner and then dip it in the oil drum if it will be sitting for awhile :p
    Probably why mine looks no where near as good as yours :) But honestly very cool and very helpfull information Thank You!

Lefty64

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Very nice pics! Never have thought of tearing one down that far. Nice to know I can if I need to. Doing a custom upgrade on a Model 7000 with same action and trigger assembly.

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    Great thread and a terrific resource. I just wrapped up a reconstruction of a battered old Marlin 99c (Model 60 variant). I bought it cheap to learn some basic gunsmithing and refinishing skills, and I really wish I had found this thread a few weeks ago!

I agree though that these are great little guns not only to work on but also to shoot. Even though I knew I didn't have an "investment gun" when I was working on mine, I still felt like I was spending time on something that was made with quality and was worth making functional and beautiful again.

If you end up doing more modifications and improvements please be sure to update the thread so I can borrow (steal) your ideas! :)

abedooley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Columbus
    Is there a part 2 somewhere? I just bought a Model 60 for my son and it's a little rough around the edges and needs some TLC. Was curious as to what how your improvements worked out.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Not hard at all..

Is there a part 2 somewhere? I just bought a Model 60 for my son and it's a little rough around the edges and needs some TLC. Was curious as to what how your improvements worked out.

These are fairly easy to work. There are several U-Tubes on this rifle also.
    I have worked several of these-FYI--take a few cell picts of the complete action assembly before you take it apart..Bill.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, I had part 2 which detailed some work to the stock and installation of tech sights. Unfortunately, I messed up and lost ALL the photos from the refinishing and reshaping of the stock. That coupled with changing jobs and taking on a lot of life stuff ( Sorry I can't explain better) just took the writing from the back burner to lost in the hinterland.
    Since there is interest and I have a much needed day off tomorrow, I will post what I have of a part 2 then.

Top Bottom