Snap Caps In 22 lr pistols and rifles ????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Talked with a gunsmith about my colt woodsman and he recommended that I not dry fire it as it can damage the pistol. Was doing some online research and see some folks recommend them for all rimfire arms. Opinions and experiences please???????????????

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    #4-#6 yellow wall anchors work great and you can buy a 100 pack at any hardware store for not much money.
    Most modern .22's can be dryfired but some are a problem. Not sure about your Colt.
    Use the drywall anchors and don't worry about it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    #4-#6 yellow wall anchors work great and you can buy a 100 pack at any hardware store for not much money.
    Most modern .22's can be dryfired but some are a problem. Not sure about your Colt.
    Use the drywall anchors and don't worry about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Here is the answer^^^^^^^^^^Thread closed..........

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    While the drywall anchors are o.k., if you'll follow this link you'll find a MUCH better .22 LR snap cap that is available from an Appleseed Instructor.

Login

I've confirmed that the pricing and address on the order form are correct.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can indeed damage some 22 rimfire guns with dry fire. I have had to replace a firing pin assembly in a Browning Buckmark. No dryfire but rather pulling the trigger to hear the click in local IPSC while I livedin the dakotas. (We had a 22 division to attract new shooters) Had this discussion with a friend who organizes steel match. Told him they should have a different procedure for rimfire.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We dry fire our .22lr's THOUSANDS of times a year (Seriously, at least 6-7000 times each!) in classes... all with snap caps. Wall anchors are not great for malfunction drills and don't fit/feed from a magazine. But for a revolver, or just resetting the striker/hammer yourself, they are fine and inexpensive. The rims do get chewed up and you have to replace them from time to time. But with a rimfire gun, if a nice soft casing does not catch the firing pin it may strike the steel in front of it. I have seen dry firing cause complete disintegration of a firing pin. They can also warp or bend. The lesson being USE SOMETHING. Snap cap, wall anchor, whatever.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I just use .22 Saf-T-Trainers. Maybe not as cheap as wall anchors, but not much more, made for a .22 firearm, and WAY cheaper than those snap-caps sold by Appleseed.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    i just use fired casings and leave it in the chamber. protects firing pin and are plentiful around my place.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

While a used .22 casing will work as good as anything the problem with it is it looks just like a live .22 round or should I say a live round looks just like a fired case that you are using as a snap cap.
    Like that is never going to cause a problem right:dunno:
    Unintentional discharge waiting to happen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can indeed damage some 22 rimfire guns with dry fire. I have had to replace a firing pin assembly in a Browning Buckmark. No dryfire but rather pulling the trigger to hear the click in local IPSC while I livedin the dakotas. (We had a 22 division to attract new shooters) Had this discussion with a friend who organizes steel match. Told him they should have a different procedure for rimfire.

I was at a steel match yesterday and they made you go through the show clear, slide closed, but no hammer down and then holster. I thought that was conscientious of the RO.

I was thinking if there was a way to drop the hammer on a snap cap or other dummy round, but that would be too much manipulation of the firearm IMO.

Without a mag, a visual confirmation of clear and secured in the holster, I was comfortable that I was safe.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I just use .22 Saf-T-Trainers. Maybe not as cheap as wall anchors, but not much more, made for a .22 firearm, and WAY cheaper than those snap-caps sold by Appleseed.

Just to be clear ... Appleseed DOES NOT sell snap caps. The information I shared is a product that is manufactured and sold by somebody (Prescott) who just happens to be an Appleseed Instructor.

As to cost ... well, you get what you pay for. Over the years, I've used all the items suggested in this post and few more. All of them, except for the product sold by Prescott, eventually broke or failed.

So, spend your money how you wish, and dry fire your firearm in any fashion you choose. As for me, I'm done with the cheap options ... I have money to spend, but I don't have money to waste.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just to be clear ... Appleseed DOES NOT sell snap caps. The information I shared is a product that is manufactured and sold by somebody (Prescott) who just happens to be an Appleseed Instructor.

As to cost ... well, you get what you pay for. Over the years, I've used all the items suggested in this post and few more. All of them, except for the product sold by Prescott, eventually broke or failed.

So, spend your money how you wish, and dry fire your firearm in any fashion you choose. As for me, I'm done with the cheap options ... I have money to spend, but I don't have money to waste.

Come on TJ, tell us how you really feel!:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    From 22Plinkster.

[video=youtube_share;f6XESjGIc5E]http://youtu.be/f6XESjGIc5E[/video]

There is a guy who has too much time on his hands.:) I am frugal, but I'd rather cough up the few dollars and get dummies that will probably work better, last longer and not look just like a live round. To each his own. I am a craftsman and I make a lot of stuff, but I save 100's of dollars, not a trip to Starbucks.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Came across this on the s-w forum while researching for a new purpose. Thought it deserved a bump. #4 x 7/8" drywall anchors seem to be the cheap fix.

Top Bottom