• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Picked up a CZ 82 last week. Must say, it shoots like a dream come true, but it's in need of some serious refinishing.
    It's not worth hot bluing and, from what I've read, cold bluing is pretty much a waste of time.
    I'm thinking rust bluing is the logical answer, and if I don't screw it up, it will be a fun project.
    From what I've read, doesn't seems like a difficult process but I do have a couple of questions.
    What's the best way to protect the barrel and the feed ramp?
    What kind of vessel is best for boiling the water? Seems to me, something like Corning Ware would work better than a steel pot??
    For anyone who has done this: how did it turn out

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Picked up a CZ 82 last week. Must say, it shoots like a dream come true, but it's in need of some serious refinishing.
    It's not worth hot bluing and, from what I've read, cold bluing is pretty much a waste of time.
    I'm thinking rust bluing is the logical answer, and if I don't screw it up, it will be a fun project.
    From what I've read, doesn't seems like a difficult process but I do have a couple of questions.
    What's the best way to protect the barrel and the feed ramp?
    What kind of vessel is best for boiling the water? Seems to me, something like Corning Ware would work better than a steel pot??
    For anyone who has done this: how did it turn out
    I took a steel pipe and welded it to a metal plate base. This allowed me to put water inside the tube without leakin out and get it to a boil. Also provided a long enough "container" to fit a barrel into. I put it over a turkey fryer gas grill base. You could also put it over a grill. As long as it boils.
    its somewhat time consuming if you do it right because of the work between layers but it looks so good!! Also if your restoring an old gun this type of bluing was factory to that time period. I think rust blueing is the nicest there is!! Why pay someone when you can do it yourself at home?!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have used the Laurel Mountain product shown in the videos and have been very happy with the results, but I have only done it with replacement parts rather than an entire gun. I think it would work though.

Top Bottom