Can any other mags be modified to work in a Taurus PT38s?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Apologies to the forum if this doesn't really qualify as gunsmithing. Wasn't quite sure if this was the proper forum. I was curious if anyone knew or suspected if a mag perhaps from a 9mm taurus of the same series (pt908 is a single stack 9x19) could be adapted to fit a pt38s .38 super. I was wondering if taurus just made one mag shell and put a spacer in it for 9mm, which I could then remove. I believe the lock up is a little different. I'm only looking for enough utility to serve as a range mag. The real pt38s mags are uncommon (Taurus doesn't make/import them anymore) and I don't want to go to the trouble of getting other mags to experiment on if someone already knows its unlikely/impossible. Thxs

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Apologies to the forum if this doesn't really qualify as gunsmithing. Wasn't quite sure if this was the proper forum. I was curious if anyone knew or suspected if a mag perhaps from a 9mm taurus of the same series (pt908 is a single stack 9x19) could be adapted to fit a pt38s .38 super. I was wondering if taurus just made one mag shell and put a spacer in it for 9mm, which I could then remove. I believe the lock up is a little different. I'm only looking for enough utility to serve as a range mag. The real pt38s mags are uncommon (Taurus doesn't make/import them anymore) and I don't want to go to the trouble of getting other mags to experiment on if someone already knows its unlikely/impossible. Thxs
    Is the pt38 a 1911 type pistol? If so, I assume COLT mags will work.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, the PT1911 is their version of the 1911 pattern. I have one of those in 38 super also, and colt mags work. Chip McCormick mags work really, really well. The pt38s is very similar to the pt945, its a 4 1/4 inch barrel all metal handgun, single stack, with standard controls except safety is also decocker. I believe the pt908 and pt911 9x19s are from the same family and it was these mags I was wondering about modifying.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Word on the street is Taurus stopped making the mags in 2012.

Here's a link where someone is looking for sources or mods too: Taurus PT 38 .38 Super - Page 2

Doesn't sound like 1911 mags are a sure thing: "I put a .38 Super 1911 mag in the PT 38, it goes in but is seems like it would be easy for it to drop out. I don't know how it would work with cycling."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the link, engineerpower. I've been contemplating getting hold of a 9mm single stack mag from a gun from the same Taurus 'family' such as a 908,909 or 911. Further research has found that those guns are on a slightly smaller frame - the pt 38s is closer to a pt 945 and I have no idea how the lock-ups compare. I've scrutinized pictures on the web and they look very similar but of course no one publishes dimensions. Trying to find out if those 9mm mags are essentially the same tube as the 38 super mags with an internal spacer to snug the shorter 9x19 rounds, otherwise it would be beyond me to modify it in any useful way. I've seen some pretty impressive metal working skills displayed on this forum, though. You don't know anybody capable of making magazines from scratch, do you. lol

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I don't personally have any experience with the .38 super, but i would imagine the guns would be designed around the cartridge itself rather than mag spacers, but I haven't seen them one way or the other.

Seems like a lot of things like this, the only way to know is to buy a mag and find out. You may be able to either call Taurus and talk with an engineer or techie, find someone on the taurus forum with both models, or visit a well-stocked shop that will have the mags and/or guns. Good luck, I've traveled this way many times myself...

Top Bottom