Bored @ work challenge: make AK Tapcos into BHO mags (big pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Challenge accepted. If somebody has done this already, hey, I was bored at work...

So I interwebbed a bit about bolt hold open AK mags and found a dude who ground off stamp tabs in metal mags to make a BHO mag. I didn't like that idea, but what I figured was why not mod the follower with a dremel to have slots that those tabs would slot into. This might solve the follower being shoved forward if you took your time and got it just right.

But I didn't have a metal mag with me, just a Tapco. Pulled it apart, and found that the mag body would require a lot of material coming off the follower, so I decided to shave the mag body. I identified the offending tabs.
    tabpic_zpsd5f413e0.jpg

I shaved and shaved.
    tabmoddedpic_zpseeba161f.jpg

The follower seemed to fit not exactly so I realized the bullet guide part of the follower needed to be shaved too. So now it looked like this.
    followermoddedpic_zps6d928ae2.jpg

When I was done, the follower bullet guide is stopped by the feed lips. The sides are pretty solid in the mag body, but I think I took too much off the front, so leaving a little more would give the follower even more mag body to hold it in place. As it is, I pressed pretty hard on the back and it didn't jam. I suppose I'll try it again with another one.
    toomuchofffollowerpic_zpsd1d78fc0.jpg

This is what it looks like from the rear.
    IMG_0082_zps16f092ea.jpg

Some proof of concept.
    IMG_0088_zps51ce67cc.jpg

And some action (yeah, hard to hold the phone and film).
    [video=vimeo;104861802]https://vimeo.com/104861802[/video]

Seems to work. :rockwoot:I'll post up what happens using this mag to fire live rounds, plus how many lock back on empties I did. I figure load 2 or 3 rounds and go to empty at least 10 or 20 times ought to be a good start to see if there's any damage. What do think? :popcorn:

Here's the tool I used. Awesome knife, CPM-M4.
    IMG_0087_zps6f692e2f.jpg

Last edited:

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    What job do you have that you can whittle AK mags?

...and can I get an application? :@ya:
    I know, right? :):

Nothing like working a Sunday babysitting three guys making double time to let railcars unload to hedge a bet against customer service that forgot to talk to the customers that forgot Monday was a holiday and they're all a day in the hole for the week. We produced nothing, but paid twice as much. :dunno:

Dang the man, save the empire...

Last edited:

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Quick update: Ran 30 rounds in 3 round groups, bolt locked back every time and no noticeable damage to magazine follower. I'll call it good after at least 100 rounds.

Top Bottom