Bored @ work challenge: figuring out the Haley Skimmer Trigger (big pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    So, stuck at work again in daycare mode...
    c65vf.jpg

I decided to try and figure out what Haley does to make the Skimmer and charge $159 for polished stock parts and "unique pre-travel reduction modification".

c65rh.jpg

Anyways, I kept reading articles and then this pic caught my eye. This is what the Skimmer trigger looks like cocked.
    skimmer_triger_review_1.jpg

And it reminded me of how a glock trigger looks when you strip the slide & barrel off and push the trigger bar to the front of the frame. Like this pic below.
    G22-broken-down-2.jpg

The trigger pushes the inner blade safety part onto the frame and the safety holds the trigger from being depressed. In this state, if you pull the trigger, you get a short break with no "pre-travel".

So, the Skimmer eliminates the "pre-travel" or "stages" the trigger by almost putting the trigger on the inner safety blade part of trigger itself.

But how?

In the pic below, the top & left trigger group is stock and the bottom & right trigger group is the Skimmer. The Skimmer has pin in it to stop trigger bar travel.
    IMG_7000.jpg

So your $159 gets polished stock parts, a pin in the trigger to "stage" the trigger, and the trigger bar is then carved back so it rides smoother on the trigger safety plunger and/or takes the pressure off the bar and keeps the plunger from being depressed when in "staged" mode.

Is the money for the trigger kit comparable to what a gunsmith would charge for work to take out pre-travel and smooth the pull of a trigger? :dunno:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    To answer your question, Not worth it IMHO.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    To answer your question, Not worth it IMHO.
    I was leaning that way, but I've never had work done by a smith, so I didn't know if it was a bargain or not.

As for what it does to the trigger, I can see the reason to make it snappier/cleaner breaking, but it's not like a stock glock trigger is "bad".

Does it have more weight then a target trigger which makes precision more difficult because you're leveraging more muscle in you hand to get the break, which in turn torques/moves the gun in "bad" ways? Yes.

Was the glock made to be a target shooting gun? No.

I'd imagine a $159 in ammo and practice and/or lessons would "clean up" more slop in the trigger then any parts, but to each their own.

What does interest me is that the mods Haley does seem so simple, I'm surprised more people don't do it themselves. You can get a trigger bar assembly and a minus connector around $25, then stop by your local Ace Hardware for a roll pin and some metal polish, and make your own kit...

:naughty:

That sounds like a good idea!

Top Bottom