• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I built my first complete AR. It’s a 10” Blackout pistol.

attachment.php

It took awhile because I’m so cheeeeeeap, amassing parts as I found them at a price I liked. Sportsman’s Guide took forever to ship the barrel, having to respond to 3 backorder confirmations to stay on the list. My one splurge was the Noveske Flaming Pig. I didn’t want gas in the face, plus I like the look. The trigger sucks, I just used one I had laying around. Here is the parts list.

Bergara® 300 AAC 10 1/2" 4140 AR-15 Barrel89.99
    Forged Laser Caliber Marked ".300 AAC BLACKOUT" Complete Uppers59.95
    M16 Bolt Carrier Group MPI 931075.00
    ALPHA MICRO Gas Block 2 .75025.00
    6.625" Gas Tube With Roll Pin Pistol Length Premium Made In The USA13.49
    Flaming Pig119.99
    .223/ 5.56NATO Tactical Charging Handle MADE IN THE USA12.99
    Trinity Force M4/AR15 Rifle-Lenth 12in. Free Float Quad Rail48.40
    Palmetto State Armory Classic LPK w/o Fire Control Group29.99
    MAG Tactical65.00
    transfer20.00
    Used PSA buffer tube kit25.00
    Combat Armory Ambidextrous Ergonomic AR-15 Pistol Groove Grip8.99

The first run was not quite uneventful. It cycled great, both super and sub. So, my one issue was that I started having some FTFs. Worked threw the first few, then I took the bolt apart and everything looked fine. I was still having them. Then I took the upper off, and could not work the trigger. WTF? The fire control group was gummed up with popped primers. I never had that happen with factory ammo. It was Fiocchi 150 gr. 12 of the 50 popped. The primers that did not pop were not flattened, and the Remington 220 gr did not have the problem.

Do you think it was just a bad batch of ammo, or something more serious?

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have had tons of problems with Fiocchi. I'll never shoot it again.

Your gun probably just knows you work in Chicago and is mad at you. The AR is a temperamental girl.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    These were reloads?? Sounds over charged. If not reloads then I'd suspect maybe a gas problem. FWIW, I have shot thousands of Fiocchi without issue. if you have the brass and primers that fell out please post some pics.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It looks to me that that thing is having issues extracting. Look at the rim. The popped ones seem to have had a hard time extracting. I am going with over pressured or over gassed. you might need a adjustable gas block or you have overly hot ammo.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Yeah your brass shouldn't be chewed up like that. There is something going on with the bolt, or the chamber. It could possibly be bad ammo. But it appears to me that the bolt is being too aggressive with the brass. Someone else can chime in, and it might just be the picture, but it seems like the firing pin strike is really deep. You could have a head spacing issue.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure its an ammo problem. The reviewers on midway are having the same problem. One of the affects of the flaming pig is more gas pressure, so I could take the baffle out and run it. One other thing, I looked at the 220 gr brass and it was immaculate in comparison.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Fiocchi had always ran a little hot for me, but never had issues with it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure its an ammo problem. The reviewers on midway are having the same problem. One of the affects of the flaming pig is more gas pressure, so I could take the baffle out and run it. One other thing, I looked at the 220 gr brass and it was immaculate in comparison.

Interesting... have you had any opportunities to run some stuff through it in the last couple of days and see what happens?

Top Bottom