• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I'm really talking myself into a 300 BLK build. I have not, however, ever built a gun. From everyone on the board :ingo:, I should be able to build one in my sleep.:n00b: I don't even know where to start with this project though, and I don't want to drop a ton of cash on it.:spend: I need to know what tools I will need beyond my standard everyday toolbox and what to look for as far as parts go. I know this seems broad, however, as I am a noob, I really don't know. Thanks in advance for the help! :ar15:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'd start with a lower. Figure out how much you want to spend then find the style/design/roll mark/brand you like and go from there. You can build the lower with basic tools. All of mine have either been built at my desk or kitchen table. The upper requires a vise and receiver blocks.

You can do it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I have done the 4 or 5 lowers I have built with:
    Small hammer
    Set of punches
    Roll of masking tape
    A block of wood
    Needle nose pliers

They have all gone just fine. It would definitely be a little easier with the tool to put in the front takedown detent but it can be done without.

I also say, build the lower, buy the upper to start. Good luck and welcome to an addicting process. :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...me-gunsmiths-i-need-tool-advice-ar-build.html

Not sure how helpful this is, but I started a similar thread for my first build.

Vice and vice block were essential along with roll pin starters. I got a basic drill press vice, since I didn't have a dedicated bench to mount it on.

I would also recommend the pivot pin tool. It's not a necessity, but it makes that step a lot easier.

I built the lower and bought the assembled upper so I didn't need as much.

Last edited:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    As far as the lower's guts go: Anything to avoid? I see sets ranging from 60 to 250. What is the differences, what brands are good?

Sorry for the inane questions, but I'm really don't know what I'm looking at yet. :dunno:

Lower parts kits that include higher end triggers will be more expensive. That is the biggest difference between them. Just have to decide what kinda of money you want to spend on a trigger.

I would ask myself what the purpose of the rifle is going to be. I am also building my first AR and since Im not going to be putting several hundred rounds through it in a single trip to the range I didnt drop tons of money on the trigger I just bought a PSA lower parts kit. because its primary a home defense rifle and I don't plan on shooting long range with it.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    The guts depend on what you are wanting this rifle to do. Is it gonna be just a fun shooter that you take to the range and shoot some targets, or is it gonna be an accuracy build? The basic Mil-Spec sets are gonna be on the lower price end and will give you more of a gritty heavier feel with the trigger. Your high end sets like Geissle(sp?) are gonna be smooth and as light as you want. Home defense and range plinking I would be fine with a Mil-Spec set as they have worked just fine putting baddies down around the world.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    I've only built my lowers, since I typically can find built uppers for a decent deal. All I used was a Tapco armorer's wrench, plus some screwdrivers. Building a lower is a fairly easy process. I haven't paid more than a hundred bucks on my LPKs and have had no issues whatsoever. I did, though, recently have my extractor fail, so I do advocate for the BCM upgraded extractor with O ring

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's not anything scary about an upper with a couple of the "special" tools, the wrench, a set of barrel clamps for the vise, whatnot. I put a 300 upper together with spare parts and a barrel, took about half hour. I have all of 4-5 rounds through it; I need to do a little tweaking because it's short stroking slightly.

JWoodlee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    Southside Indy
    I agree that a class is helpful and buy the upper. The first one I built took forever because I didn't get all the parts I needed and had to wait for them and then the extra tools that I didn't realize I needed until after I started. Headache!!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I'd suggest a novice build the lower and buy a completed upper.... It makes things easy and you still get the feeling of accomplishment.

Putting the lower together is the harder part, in my opinion. Palmetto State Armory has a lot of great uppers and a lot of ****ty uppers.

PSA 16" CHF Pencil SSK 12" - Without BCG or Charging Handle - 46084

This is probably the best deal in the history of AR uppers for what you get.

Just watch a youtube video on how to assemble your lower. It's definitely NOT rocket science. Don't let anyone tell you that one lower parts kit is better than another. mil-spec is mil-spec is mil-spec... The only thing in the LPK you need to be concerned with is the trigger... A good trigger can make all the difference in the world. With an upper it's all about the barrel, BCG, and buffer system. not all are created equally.

Good luck and have fun.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    So...books were more expensive than expected. Rifle put on hold. While I'm waiting any good reading/viewing on building an upper. I know it is not recommended, but since I have some time now, I figure I can at least study up on it.

Thanks!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So...books were more expensive than expected. Rifle put on hold. While I'm waiting any good reading/viewing on building an upper. I know it is not recommended, but since I have some time now, I figure I can at least study up on it.

Thanks!

Building the upper is easier then the lower. A lot easier. Don't let building an upper slow you down. A vise block and a universal tool that will put your buffer tube & barrel nut on. When you by a vice block get one that does both the receiver and the upper. You will need a set of pin punches, vise and a tork wrench. The AR is the erector set of guns. Just a few tools and a couple youtube videos and you can build a AR. Seriously.

I've done a few dozen lowers and just a couple uppers. I avoided the upper because of the tools but that was a mistake on my part. Once I got them I was amazed at how easy it really was. If you were closer you would be welcome to use my tools & vice. NP

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bumping for some advice. The lasts parts for my lower should be here in the next couple of days. I may start building on Thursday unless something weird happens. Any suggestions/tips for this undertaking?

Also, uppers, I'm looking at 556/223, anything that would be recommended? I'm looking at PSA for them.

Top Bottom