• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I ordered a set of factory Mossberg GRS to install on my 18" 590A1 that only has a bead and when inspecting the front sight before install I noticed that the front blade slide easily in and out of the base. Now I'm not a gunsmith nor a machinist but me thinks dats no good.

Question, is there a source for the EXACT measurement of the dovetail to see which side is out of spec? I wouldn't be too upset if the blade is small and I could just order a Fiber or Tritium blade to mount in the base.

I REALLY don't want to send it back because these are pretty hard to get a hold of and I prefer the factory sights to anything else I've seen available.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can't give dimensions but I have had a few loose dovetails over the years. You can raise a few humps on the flat spot on the sight base or on the bottom of the sight itself, or you can peen the top, thin parts of the dovetail down a hair. If it's really close, and only slightly loose, you could probably put some Lok-Tite or JB Weld in the dovetail and slide the sight into place.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Worst-case and most expensive answer:

Have it welded up and then have the dovetail re-cut.

But try and shim it with foil first.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I was debating about upgrading the blade to a tritium or fiber optic anyway.

Yeah, but is it the dovetail slot in the base is oversized, or the sight blade dovetail pin too small? If the former, then getting a new blade wouldn't solve your problem.

Top Bottom