• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Digging through the web I found a mount for old Savage 99's.
    No drilling and tapping needed (preserving whatever collector value there is).
    Guy on another forum makes them. Got mine today.
    Remove rear sight, add in dovetail, lay mount atop and start all 4 screws (2 into dovetail, 2 into tang- where factory drilled for peep).
    Tighten up and mount scope rings (takes standard Leupold/Redfield rings- dovetail front, windage adj rear).
    Bolted right up.

Base that is.

I don't have any standard rings :(

So off to my dad's to see what he has. Think Redfield.

Proly use a 2-7X Redfield I have laying around...........for deer season.

Need a leather lace on cheekriser to make this thing done.

Ideally a vintage leather lace on and Weaver 2.5X. Just not keen on buying a Weaver classic and having to send it off for rebuild.

Cat doesn't seem impressed........

DSC03610.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Figure a real gunsmith would charge $20 per hole, minimum...........to drill and tap for factory scope mounts.
    Plus shipping to a Savage 99 guy, or driving a ways to somebody that's done 'em.
    Then losing at least $100 in value on this rifle (which isn't really collectible)..............total would be $200 (loss plus gunsmithing charge).
    This base was $170 shipped.

Gun value stays the same and if down the road I want to go peep, can sell the mount and get most if not all of my $ back.

IIRC the maker said there are 3 basic lengths, depending on what 99 you have.
    Mine measures 3 3/16 or thereabouts, from rearmost edge of dovetail to front edge of receiver.

Mine is not a take down or 1899.
    Just a regular, most common version......99 EG

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Really cool setup, Hook.
    Glad to see that you're serious about taking that little beauty into the woods for deer.
    Somewhere up above, Arthur Savage is smiling.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL, my Contender .35 rem Super 16 bbl paid for the rifle, my Contender .223 Super 14 bbl for the scope base.
    Hope the optics show that the old gal is capable.
    If not, it might become a money pit..............but if so, it'll get new wood, bbl, finish and D&T.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    At least with this mount I can run a common new/warrantied scope.

Thought about a Stith mount and then saw the prices.

Ouch.

Went this way, being the cheap nont traditionalist I am ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Honked off, same issue as the #1.................new type scopes won't fit unless using offset ring.
    Of course the only rings at my LGS were Burris Signature...........so not of offset.
    I think I can sand down the plastic insert to get the objective bell's flare to fit.
    Or maybe find an old Weaver to drop in.
    Scope I had laying around, Redfield Rev 2-7X.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sanded down the front plastic insert set, took .045" off, scope dropped in.
    But of course above 5X the scope needs to come back.
    So emailed Burris to buy a set of "zero" inserts to replace the ones I sanded. Could run with them, on another rig.........but with them slightly sticking out on the other ring, and one side of the one I sanded.......that'd bother me.
    Could sand all sides .045 and make them all look the same.
    Eh, buy a new insert pair.

So.................ordered Leupold extension rings............no Posiline to preserve scope finish.

Oh well. Should have it to the range next weekend.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hell I'd like to find another, drilled and tapped.........so I could chop it to 21", add semi beaver front and high comb stock.
    See if this one endears itself to me this season.
    If so, maybe say to heck with it and throw a couple hundred more to make it something I really like.
    Or dump and get a 760 in .300 savage.
    Pops came over, saw it............liked it and said "keep it" of course he has some Sharps .22 hornet coming in this week.
    Thank goodness I'm only half of that blood (sorry, but Sharps and western stuff doesn't do anything for me).

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Nice rifle Hookeye what caliber? I love those early deer rifles like the 99 and others of that era. I plan to get one maybe 243 or one of the older obsolete cartridges. I bought a Remington Model 8 .35 Remington it was second year production 4 digit serial number. I was gonna trim cases and let fly but the gun had ejection issues the bolt was messed up too much money to get it fixed so I let it go.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thank you for the kind offer :)
    But I have decided to just dress the other side of the ring halves and make them even.
    It will actually look better IMHO than a new set.

I was being lazy and OCD.........but the dress down on one side was easy and came out perfect.
    So I just gotta decide if I want a Trooper regular ale or a Red n Black .........while performing the needed task.

nhunt46051

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2016
    Lapel
    I recently inherited one of those.. pretty cool rig in 300 savage. not going to be ready for the deer woods this year.. but my 358 wssm will do

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mine's ready but dang if my #1 doesn't fit so much better.
    Proly take this pig to the 1500.
    I really like the looks of the 99 C better (high comb stock, fatter forend, shorter bbl).
    Could mod this one, but then it's made it 81 yrs without mods.......kinda what helps it hold value.
    Decisions decisions.
    Like the cartridge, just think I need a different platform.
    I'm super picky on gun fit..........because in hunting it should be automatic.....getting sight picture.
    The stick on cheek raiser helped, but changed cast and took it to unacceptible, so I either have to move it more to the off side, or remove it.
    Goes on/comes off easy, no damage.........neat idea, just needs thinner width on cheek side (shotgunner wedge was same on each side).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Old Remington ammo had some thump to it. Took a few to get the 2-7X close (Lightfoot mount works fine).

Roughed it, shooting at crap on the bank @50.

Taking a break, went to the 100 with the #1 RSI. Other bank supposed to be 75 yards (I pace 80). Only 4X so set target there.
    Fired a couple and couldn't see holes on my target (pc of paper with two nickle sized Sharpie marker dots on it). Walked down..........both in the dot, touching each other.

Went back to the 50yds with the 99, got it close on paper, Hornady Superformance kicks less, is dead on at 50.

Woods rifles, my farthest shot will be 75 yards. Can thread 'em if need be.

Didn't have any 150's for the TC .35 rem super 14. So just gonna take the two rifles next month. Am cool widit.

Last edited:

elguapo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    rio hondo
    sir, I could not open your response with my computer...could you send me a email...ga.landry@yahoo.com...thanks for any help you can give me....If you give me your email I will send pictures of my savage 99 with 7/8 inch kolmorgan bear cub scope on a no drill stith mounts...rifle is dead on at 100 yards but because of the low magnification with this scope.. about 2X...shots at 200 yards are difficult at best...I have old eyes!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom