• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I just found a 22 shoot close to my house. I am thinking about building my 10/22 but don't know where to start. Who makes the best barrel, trigger, and is a new bolt really worth the money? I was looking at KIDD's website and like there stuff but wasn't sure if there is a better option out there. The shoot is a 5 shot group at 50 yards. Any advice or direction you can push me in would be great. Thanks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Kidd and/or Volquartzen stuff.

Green Mountain also makes right decent barrels. Tactical Solutions makes decent stuff, too, if you're really in to wanting to color coordinate stuff.

All depends on your goals and your budget.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Tactically Fat hit it pretty well IMO Kidd and or Volquartzen would be where I'd go, especially for major components.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Send your trigger group to Brimstone and get them to clean it up. :yesway:

Then a nylon bolt buffer and you're 10/22 will be pretty darn good.

I've no experience with barrels.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    right now I use a ruger bx trigger, a volqartsen auto bolt release, a buffer technology bolt buffer, and a crossfire gear mag release, on a folding stock (old ram line)

over the winter I think im going to put a threaded 920 barrel on it think I might go volqartsen on it (the 10/22 carbon fiber barrel is a beauty) and change out the stock (boyds blaster I think)

I got to try out a brimstone bx trigger (a ruger bx trigger that brimstone worked on) and I think its way to light for me! I looked at it and it went off! (the dealer who had it said it was a prototype from brimstone, and he said it had a 1# pull)

the standard brimstone trigger is awesome, theres a dealer here(eville) who sells them(the guy above), and he talked me out of the brimstone and into a bx, we shoot bowling pins, and the brimstone is a little light for that (imho), but in a slowfire target competition it'd be perfect

now volquartsen makes the best ruger 22 stuff out there! ive got a mark one with just about every thing on it volquartsen makes, and it can shoot!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My Kidd barrel is a work of art and shoots great. I don't much care for my VQ hammer but it's better than stock. My buddy has a Kidd trigger pack and it's fantastic. One of these days I'll get one too.

I've done all the other free, cheap and easy mods. Do those first. You'll have a good idea how your rifle works. Bolt radius, polish, firing pin retainer, bolt release, bolt buffer...

You can face polish your own bolt and tighten up head space. It did help a lot on mine but then Kidd put theirs on sale so I jumped on it.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Timely... I just ordered a Kidd upper receiver and barrel. Probably going to be an all Kidd build. I wanted to build one from the ground up, Kidd seems to be popular in just about all opinions.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My 10/22s are stock, with exception of a VQ hammer, nylon bolt buffer, and extended mag release. I put a scope on them because of my eyes, but the works are fine. The best thing you can do to improve your shooting is to practice, whether on the range on in dry fire.

Best part about dry fire is that it's free.

Blessings,
    Bill

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I did a E.W.Shaw barrel (major major improvement over stock) a Ruger BX trigger group (once again major major improvement over stock),bolt buffer, I restocked the rifle with a used thumbhole stock, I think it's a old stockys stock, the factory wood has a very unpleasant feel in my hands, make certain the bolt moves freely in the receiver , if take a scotch brite and smooth out the inside of the receiver,and do not use the factory scope mount, very flimsy ...... good luck

what ammo are you using? mine will shoot most anything, but I do get good groups with Aguila HV extra match , Federal auto match,winchester m22 or Winchester 555 shoot ok, but still look a lot like a shotgun pattern at 100M , federal game shok , CCI mini mag are hit and miss with accuracy if you do a little bolt work and make it operate on SV , I have seen some amazing groups outa these

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Auto bolt release for free. Nylon buffer using a cut 1/4" shoulder bolt from Lowe's for under $1. It's really almost stupid how much you can do with these things. A 10/22 is to lego what a 1911 is to duplo.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My 10/22s are stock, with exception of a VQ hammer, nylon bolt buffer, and extended mag release. I put a scope on them because of my eyes, but the works are fine. The best thing you can do to improve your shooting is to practice, whether on the range on in dry fire.

Best part about dry fire is that it's free.

Blessings,
    Bill

Unless you plan on repeatedly using a chamber iron I would not practice dry firing a 10/22 w/o some kind of snap cap in place.

I've owned and built at least a dozen 10/22s and if you want the best, buy Kidd. Get the rear tang on the rcvr. I prefer the 2 stage trigger myself. Not as flashy as some Volquartsen stuff but consistent as can be. The man values his reputation and his product says so loudly and clearly.
    You can get good results with others but if you don't want to mess around, buy the Kidd.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I did a E.W.Shaw barrel (major major improvement over stock) a Ruger BX trigger group (once again major major improvement over stock),bolt buffer, I restocked the rifle with a used thumbhole stock, I think it's a old stockys stock, the factory wood has a very unpleasant feel in my hands, make certain the bolt moves freely in the receiver , if take a scotch brite and smooth out the inside of the receiver,and do not use the factory scope mount, very flimsy ...... good luck

what ammo are you using? mine will shoot most anything, but I do get good groups with Aguila HV extra match , Federal auto match,winchester m22 or Winchester 555 shoot ok, but still look a lot like a shotgun pattern at 100M , federal game shok , CCI mini mag are hit and miss with accuracy if you do a little bolt work and make it operate on SV , I have seen some amazing groups outa these

By no means am I a Ruger 10/22 expert so take it for what it's worth...
    I picked up one of the International (Mannlichter stock type) models a while back. I finally got around to shooting it. CCI Mini-Mags 40gr rn.
    First 10 rd mag group at 25 yards were all together and could cover with a dime. Not impressive at 25 but a NEW, BONE STOCK, 10/22.
    I took it out to 60 yds and bone stock it was still doing quarter cover groups. It's a .22 so I was happy or thought I was.
    I bought a Timney group for it and the safety didn't work. Trigger was very nice though. It helped a little on the groups. I didn't want the "safety issue" so I bought one of the Ruger BX trigger groups for it. It's an excellent trigger system for the money.
    I don't want to spend more money and fix a rifle that's not broken so I'll leave it be.
    It's sporting a cheap 3x9x50 Tasco and rings that's holding up just fine, Harris bi-pod which is a P.I.A. because of the International stock angle, the BX trigger group and an old sling I had laying around.
    This is the long way around the bush of saying to shoot your rifle before fixing it. It may be MORE than capable before you spend your money. Not a lot of people are going to outshoot your firearms.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have had two fingergroove sporters, one deluxe sporter, a walnut standard ('78) and a couple of birch standards.
    Even after trigger/hammer upgrades (some).......still get holes where they shouldn't be.
    Tolerable, but c'mon...........you know when it aint you.
    Just depends on what your needs/wants are.
    For me, being the "holy grail" of 10/22's..............not gonna do much to it.
    Not mint, so huntable.........but still needs babied.
    Think only around 540 were factory checkered ('66-71 sporters).

Top Bottom