• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    So, was running a Browning BL-22 lever gun with a 3X9 scope and an extended hammer (extended to the right). Totally failed to feed any rounds correctly. Had to use screw driver to pry rounds up into extractor to run it. I oiled/cleaned and studied it and noted that the shell elevator was not rising completely in it's slot. Cleaned and oiled some more, studied the situation some more and it seemed that the bolt was not moving to the rear far enough to allow the elevator to rise completely, but the lever was moving as far as it could. Upon further study I noticed that the hammer was riding all the way back to a stopping point, but still did not allow bolt to move far enough. Appeared that bolt was hitting hammer extension and hammer was riding back as far as it could and bolt was trying to ride over top of hammer.

Removed the hammer extension and operated the lever. Lo and behold the shell elevator now rises to the top of it's slot with full movement of the lever. Loaded her up and had no further failures to feed! Moved hammer extension farther back on the hammer and re-tested function. All is well now. Who knew it was important where the hammer extension was mounted on a lever gun (ha, ha). By the way I did not mount the extension originally. I have to wonder if anyone ever fired this thing before.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Great diagnosis. Sometimes its the simplest things that can fix big problems. Thanks for sharing your fix! Hopefully this will save someone else some time and hair pulling.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Good job figuring out the source of your troubles.
    It would have been a crying shame to pay for a 'smith to look at it or sell it when the solution turned out to be so simple.
    I use a hammer extension on my Marlin 39A, but it hasn't interfered with the range of motion of the hammer.

Top Bottom