• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    ok, so my para P14 is having a slide release issue (in addition to the safety issue related elsewhere)
    Didn't have this problem until I started shooting it suppressed

The slide release is working itself out just enough during shooting that it won't hold the slide open on the last round.It is barely noticeable when looking at it, but upon closer inspection it is obvious what is happening.
    This got me to wondering, if there is some pressure outward on the slide release, it could pop out of the notch when the slide recoils past the notch. Also, the notch is a lot larger than on my Colts, which would allow it to pop out easier.
    1: Could the magazine cause this?
    2: Maybe a poorly fitted slide release?
    3: PARAs are just junk?

Thanks,
    Johnny C

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Johnny,

Is the rear of the suppressor fitting tightly to the bushing or is there plenty of room between to the two to allow proper lockup?

Andy Cree

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What Andy said.

I used to love my Para's but the newer ones were just crap. So depending on when yours was made there is a possible #3 here.

When shooting suppressed are you experiencing more felt recoil.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    The suppressor is not tight against the bushing and it locks up fine.

The gun is a post 9/11 gun that was a group buy for a certain unit, bought it from an INGOer who I suppose was the vet who bought it origionally.

Really want a double stack for my suppressor, so hopefully, this pistol can be made to work reliably.

I do have an older RIA double-stack that is unramped 70 series, will probally get a threaded barrel for it and try it out also.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Church...
    Not sure about the recoil, will have to get back to you on that one.
    As an aside, when shooting suppressed, should a heavier recoil spring be used?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What does the detent look like where the slide release touches the plunger on the spring tube? Are the plunger and spring in good shape? My Para's have 20 plus years of hard use and are fine. I have not owned a newer one as far as the quality issues, but things could simply be worn out. I have lightly dressed a safety lever on a 1911 to make it more positive for a carry gun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ok, so my para P14 is having a slide release issue (in addition to the safety issue related elsewhere)
    Didn't have this problem until I started shooting it suppressed

The slide release is working itself out just enough during shooting that it won't hold the slide open on the last round.It is barely noticeable when looking at it, but upon closer inspection it is obvious what is happening.
    This got me to wondering, if there is some pressure outward on the slide release, it could pop out of the notch when the slide recoils past the notch. Also, the notch is a lot larger than on my Colts, which would allow it to pop out easier.
    1: Could the magazine cause this?
    2: Maybe a poorly fitted slide release?
    3: PARAs are just junk?

Thanks,
    Johnny C
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Top Bottom