• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have 30-06 that I'm looking to turn into a custom gun. I've been on Google looking for some place that can blue print my action with no luck. So does anyone have a guy that is competent in this area of gunsmithing? I'm gonna change the caliber as well if that helps, so I won't need any bolt work done.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Mark Pernod is nationally known for benchrest and varmint bolt guns. He is in northern IN. Also, Krieger and Bartlein will both do blueprinting. Send them your action and they will go through it and install one of their barrels at the same time.

Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info, I didn't specify that I was looking for a semi local guy first, instead of sending it off right away. That is the fall back plan, I've read a lot about little small town guys that run a shop out of their garage that do beautiful work around the country. Optimistically looking for a sleeper lol

Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've got the action, gun was free. The way I see it if I just get it trued up and get everything else new, that saves me from buying a 1k$ action. And get around the same results...ish. apart from what needs to be put on the lathe I wanted to do it myself. That's the way my mind works but I've been wrong before!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You have a long action receiver, what caliber are you going with? What's your end game? Don't wake up one morning and just because the rifle was free want to dump money into it. Are you a competent enough shooter to justify a rig for or would you be better off spending money on ammo and trigger time to hone some fundamentals?
    what your plan?

Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking maybe 300 win mag or some 6.5, still not set on a specific caliber yet , need to do some more reading. End game is 1k+, I'm confident in my abilities to around 600, I can always learn more that's for sure. Just looking to step it up a notch. Certainly this is going to be a project, not a buy all at once deal.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    From an ammunition affordability / availability standpoint .300wm is an excellent option in long action. In addition it is very capable up to 1000 yards. I'm old school so I'm not into the 6's. There are several competent smiths you'll get recommendations for, my thing is having a plan going into talks with them.

Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Completely agree with ya, I will have all the details hashed out before I go forth with it.

That's too bad your old school, some of these 6.5s are ridiculous! There's a few with BCs in the high .6 range and stay supersonic for around 400 yards further than the 300WM. Barrel burners though

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    AllenM is on the west side. He runs (owns?) Diamond Collision in Avon. I think he's gotten back into the bolt gun game. I know you can't PM yet, but he might show up in here.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I hate to be so pointed about this, but not enough to be silent...

If you are going to spend big money on a custom firearm--and expect it to look and function like one when you get it back--then you need to use a smith that has enough experience and accolades to be able to be the guy that just sits in the back of the room and quietly lets the business come to him.

That, most often, does NOT include local smiths, and no offense is intended by this; it's just simple math. They don't see enough volume of $3,000 rifles go through their shops to get to be extremely proficient at building them. The only exception is the guy who's a master machinist, and happens to love the art and joy of crafting something like this in his spare time (and that can be a REALLY big exception).

There's not really a lot of valid reason to keep the rifle local unless you just feel obligated to support a Hoosier (and if so, that's fine of course; call Penrod or AJ Brown).

Just make sure to spend really wisely on the smith, the barrel, and the sighting system. Most everything else is pretty easy to fix. (And the dude above is right: Krieger & Bartlein, and a few others mostly from Wisconsin, are the only real options. Buy a good tube.)

-Nate

Gallawho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's for the info and input guys, I'm not so new to shooting precision weapons, but I am new to building one. So again thanks for the input, I just want to try to avoid spending unnecessary cash on things that are easily avoidable, try to learn for all of your mistakes I guess haha. We each gotta make our own though that's life, but it can be easier with help from good people. Thanks guys

Top Bottom