• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Buddy of mine bought an older Marlin lever gun in 44, it had a burr in the chamber.
    It was actually a groove that ended with a burr by the freebore area.
    He got the burr out, but the groove splits the brass.
    He's searched the net looking for a new barrel, no luck.
    He found a place in Kalamazoo that will sleeve the chamber area for $150. Anyone know of a shop closer to the South Bend area that can do it?
    I would send him to Tactical Component, but it's my understanding that John has closed the shop.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Have you tried calling Marlin directly to see if they would be willing to either sell you a barrel or do the rebarrel themselves?
    I'm pretty sure they would do one or the other, for a price, of course.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    oldpink, I don't know if it matters, but the rifle is a late 60's early 70's. I'm not sure if they changed anything about them or not.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Have you tried calling Marlin directly to see if they would be willing to either sell you a barrel or do the rebarrel themselves?
    I'm pretty sure they would do one or the other, for a price, of course.

They'll take a JM barrel and rebarrel it with a REM barrel. Would take away all collectability of the rifle, and they wouldn't sell just the barrel by itself

Wonder if a touch up with a chamber reamer would fix the problem

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Not if it is a groove. The chamber had some foreign object enter it that was hard enough to scrape a decent-depth groove and push a burr into the throat. If it's deep enough to cause brass obturating into it to fully split, that's a serious F-up by any standard. It will not be removed by a reamer because it is a LACK of material, not an overage.

Then again, I could'a read the whole thing wrong. Cerrosafe tells all.

-Nate

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not if it is a groove. The chamber had some foreign object enter it that was hard enough to scrape a decent-depth groove and push a burr into the throat. If it's deep enough to cause brass obturating into it to fully split, that's a serious F-up by any standard. It will not be removed by a reamer because it is a LACK of material, not an overage.

Then again, I could'a read the whole thing wrong. Cerrosafe tells all.

-Nate

No that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Been a long day and trying to picture the problem. I was thinking a bur was removed but maybe not entirely or completely. Having a gouge or channel in the chamber explains it more.

The sleeving idea would be my choice then, just to keep the JM barrel

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The sleeving idea would be my choice then, just to keep the JM barrel

Mine as well, if that's what the guy wants from this rifle.

If not, and it's just to be a shooter, then I'd call Douglas and get a 4140 blank on the move to my smith.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They'll take a JM barrel and rebarrel it with a REM barrel. Would take away all collectability of the rifle, and they wouldn't sell just the barrel by itself

If he's getting it rebarreled, he's already doing something that detracts from the collector value.
    My own 1894 .45 Colt has a "REP" stamped barrel, and it shoots just fine, thank you very much.
    I just don't buy into this irrational hatred of all things post-buyout.
    Has Remington/Freedom Group made some missteps with Marlin, especially the end of the venerable 39A?
    Yes, but let us not forget that Marlin got bought for a very good reason, and that was from the fact that Marlin was just about to go out of business altogether.
    At least they're still in business, and it seems that they have ironed out the problems with their transitional guns.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If he's getting it rebarreled, he's already doing something that detracts from the collector value.
    My own 1894 .45 Colt has a "REP" stamped barrel, and it shoots just fine, thank you very much.
    I just don't buy into this irrational hatred of all things post-buyout.
    Has Remington/Freedom Group made some missteps with Marlin, especially the end of the venerable 39A?
    Yes, but let us not forget that Marlin got bought for a very good reason, and that was from the fact that Marlin was just about to go out of business altogether.
    At least they're still in business, and it seems that they have ironed out the problems with their transitional guns.

A Marlin with a JM barrel could shoot like hell and be worth more than the REP rifle because......the JM.

Marlin wasn't the best ran company and their machines weren't the most in spec either, way more hand fitting and Remington didn't realize the project they were taking on. Firing the old workers, underestimating the hand fitting required for the rifles, the fit and finish.......they rightfully earned the name Remlin. The originals did have some issues and Marlin changed things over the years to address them, but Remington made the company worse.

Least Marlin made stainless 1894s.....and as you mentioned 39as. At the time of the buyout I don't recall Marlin hurting for business. They were doing well and only started having problems towards the end because Remington told the old workers they were getting fired but they still had X amount of rifles to build. At that point they didn't care anymore

Top Bottom