• ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I purchased a Model 1898 Krag last week and have started cleaning it up. I was not sure what color the stock was *supposed* to be, but the one I purchased was BLACK - and not a little. After doing some research I discovered that it is supposed to be MUCH lighter and of a reddish hue. Some additional research into cleaning stocks, and much experimentation, showed that Hoppes #9 bore cleaner and 0000 steel wool did a pretty good job of cleaning up the wood and once the 100+ years of dirt were scrubbed away a very pleasing reddish hue emerged. There was even wood grain!

The only problem is that the work is very slow and labor intensive. Does anyone have a (hopefully) faster solution that will clean the wood but not damage the original finish? I have tried Murphy's Oil soap and denatured alcohol but found that they were not as effective. On the positive side, the stock is looking REALLY nice.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I purchased a Model 1898 Krag last week and have started cleaning it up. I was not sure what color the stock was *supposed* to be, but the one I purchased was BLACK - and not a little. After doing some research I discovered that it is supposed to be MUCH lighter and of a reddish hue. Some additional research into cleaning stocks, and much experimentation, showed that Hoppes #9 bore cleaner and 0000 steel wool did a pretty good job of cleaning up the wood and once the 100+ years of dirt were scrubbed away a very pleasing reddish hue emerged. There was even wood grain!

The only problem is that the work is very slow and labor intensive. Does anyone have a (hopefully) faster solution that will clean the wood but not damage the original finish? I have tried Murphy's Oil soap and denatured alcohol but found that they were not as effective. On the positive side, the stock is looking REALLY nice.

3000 psi pressure washer and some deck wash.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've cleaned up most of my old mil-surps using a Shark Steam gun and piles of old rags. The steam can also lessen the dings in the wood.

Knuckleduster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Monroeville
    I agree with HOP using steam works wonders. And if you have any dents where the grain isn't broken a wet rag on the damaged spot and a good hot clothes iron will usually "pull" the dent

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Avoid using harsh chemicals and steel wool/scotch brite pads/etc. If your rifle is collectible and if you wish to keep it that way, clean it very gently. Also, those old Krags with the black walnut stocks can really turn dark after 100 years, so it might not be as dirty as it seems. I would just clean it with a rag and pure tung oil, which does a nice job of cleaning while also treating the stock. Remember its over 100 years old, its not supposed to look new. Post pics if you get a chance.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Your rifle stock was probably treated with linseed oil as a finish which was a common technique going back many years. This darkens and yellows over time and exposure to sunlight.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    TSP, Tri Sodium Phosphate and Scotch Brite pads have cleaned up several M1 Garands, an '03, 1917 Enfield, 03A3. and one Krag. Surprising how nice some of that wood is when taken back down to the bare wood. When I get down to that stage, 100% Pure Tung oil will be rubbed in over time. Brownell's has that "hint of Red" which make for that special look. YMMV

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Before:
    IMG_20170304_153208306.jpg
    After:
    IMG_20170304_153218105.jpg
    Still deciding whether to try and remove some more crud. I plan to rub it down with tung oil once I am happy with it.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    If you want to strip a oil finished stock down to bare wood and start over this is the safest, easiest, fastest method. I have done many, many dozens of miitary stocks this way

I first take Purple Power degreaser full strength and put it in a spray bottle, not Simple Green etc, Purple Power
    MVC-013S.jpg

I then spray down the stock with full strength degreaser, immediataly you will see years of grease. oil and dirt start to roll off. I do this is a utility sink wash tub but you can use a bucket etc.
    MVC-008S.jpg

I then take a soft nylon bristle brush and go over the stock.
    Rinse very well with hot water while rubbing with brush .
    I will usually do procedure one more time except the last time wipe dry with cotton towel.
    If stock is very oil soaked it may take another cleaning .
    I then let the stock set to dry out of direct heat source.
    If it drys slowly you have a less chance of wood warping.
    This is what the wood looks like after drying
    MVC-012S.jpg

I let the stock dry for a day or two before refinishing

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    try water les hand soap and a scrub brush.I have cleaned many old pistol grips with It, rinse with water and towel dry . No toxic waist don't need robber gloves Don't soak it with water just rinse and dry.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom