• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Just to make it easier for some to view.

[video=youtube_share;KPxQsP7_ZQw]http://youtu.be/KPxQsP7_ZQw[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Testimonies like this are always a good reminder to see the big picture when we do work. Pretty bad consequence for failure.

I know this sounds cave man like, but after I work a trigger on a 1911, I cock the pistol holding it in my hand and smack the side of the slide with a rubber mallet. If it doesn't hold, I put more engagement in the hammer hooks/sear tip. That .015 or .016" engagement might seem to function fine when clean on the bench, but a little wear or grit will make the working engagement less than that in short order. I think the action pistol crowd generally tolerates reasonable triggers. Some of the old bullseye guys had some pretty scary trigger jobs. Many would drop the hammer if you used the slide stop to release the slide.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Testimonies like this are always a good reminder to see the big picture when we do work. Pretty bad consequence for failure.

I know this sounds cave man like, but after I work a trigger on a 1911, I cock the pistol holding it in my hand and smack the side of the slide with a rubber mallet. If it doesn't hold, I put more engagement in the hammer hooks/sear tip. That .015 or .016" engagement might seem to function fine when clean on the bench, but a little wear or grit will make the working engagement less than that in short order. I think the action pistol crowd generally tolerates reasonable triggers. Some of the old bullseye guys had some pretty scary trigger jobs. Many would drop the hammer if you used the slide stop to release the slide.

I have great respect for gunsmiths that do the job wisely and properly. No caveman sound at all. Just seems to me that you are taking all proper precautions.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Everyone needs to watch this Video. If you buy a Used Firearm, don't take the Sellers word that XYZ Gunsmith did a Trigger Job on it. Take it to a Competent Gunsmith. Sometimes a Disaster is only .0001" away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have not done the rubber Mallet thing but I will use the slide stop on a chambered casing to test hammer engagement. 10 to 15 times while gripping the safety will usually tell the tale. Unless it is one of my personal pieces I never cut below .018 on the hooks.

These are man made devices. As with men they will fail at some point along the way. Be safe. Be careful.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...Some of the old bullseye guys had some pretty scary trigger jobs. Many would drop the hammer if you used the slide stop to release the slide.

You are not kidding there. A State Police guy from Michigan once offered to let me try his pistol out...after I had 5 rounds inserted, he cautioned me to make sure I held the trigger back while releasing the slide. I asked "why," since this was not normal procedure for me on a 1911. He said, "You want to make sure the disconnector is engaged while letting the slide fly...that way if she goes off, with your hand on the grip and the grip safety engaged, at least it won't go full auto on you." He said this nonchalantly.

...Yeesh! I unloaded and said, "no thanks."

I later learned of a case where someone burned a clip in such manner at the old indoor basement range in New Albany, sending the last round up through the ceiling/floor into the ladies' bathroom.

Watch out for those old bullseye guys...:):

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You are not kidding there. A State Police guy from Michigan once offered to let me try his pistol out...after I had 5 rounds inserted, he cautioned me to make sure I held the trigger back while releasing the slide. I asked "why," since this was not normal procedure for me on a 1911. He said, "You want to make sure the disconnector is engaged while letting the slide fly...that way if she goes off, with your hand on the grip and the grip safety engaged, at least it won't go full auto on you." He said this nonchalantly.

...Yeesh! I unloaded and said, "no thanks."

I later learned of a case where someone burned a clip in such manner at the old indoor basement range in New Albany, sending the last round up through the ceiling/floor into the ladies' bathroom.

Watch out for those old bullseye guys...:):

:scared:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I do that as well. front and back too to try to get the hammer to bounce. I know it makes folks cringe, but I drop the slide on empty chamber both with and without trigger pulled, too. I don't get crazy either like you mentioned... 2.5-3lb on 1911/2011s I use in uspsa is good enough for me.

I had one run away on me at an indoor range a few years ago. It wasn't a sear issue... now I can't remember exactly... some burr or out of spec part or something hanging up the disco. All in the A-zone @ 7 yds. :) I wanted to do it again :) Stupid NFA laws; I packed it away...

-rvb

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, she said she hadn't "grabbed" her gun. She saying she didn't even touch it, but it went off .5s after the buzzer? I get that her draw times were normally just over 2 seconds, but that means she couldn't put her hand on it in .5?

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Good reminder. If you shoot enough you will run into mechanical issues. I have had sks slam fires, disconnectors get stuck and one trigger so light the bolt cycling tripped it. We all like a good deal but we need to be aware.

Top Bottom