• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhyLighter338

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    So does anybody know of a replacement barrel for a Remington 700 long action? My buddy has a 30-06 and the barrel is shot. He wants to convert it to 308 and I can only find short action barrels. Surely it's my google-fu as I'm sure there have to be long action 308 barrels out there. Any help is appreciated.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    If your looking for a Remington take off barrel, I don't believe you'll find one. I've never seen a Remington in 308 that was a long action, in fact I'm pretty sure they never made one.

You would probably need to buy a barrel blank from a manufacturer and have it chambered and threaded for your action.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So does anybody know of a replacement barrel for a Remington 700 long action? My buddy has a 30-06 and the barrel is shot. He wants to convert it to 308 and I can only find short action barrels. Surely it's my google-fu as I'm sure there have to be long action 308 barrels out there. Any help is appreciated.

My custom Rem 700 was a long action. The barrel name escapes me as I have traded that rifle to a friend. When I speak with him I will ask.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    As far asd i know,The barrels are the same for either action. ie Remington doesn't make an action specific barrel, one will fit the other and vice versa. calibers/chambers are what's different. just buy a 308 rem 700 take off barrel and have a competent gunsmith spin it on and headspace it. You may have feeding problems with certain ammo as the magazine is longer and designed for longer cartridges with the long action.

Steve

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Army m24 uses a long action, some target shooters use a longer action so bullets can be seated further out and still function in a magazine. No difference in barrel

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How does your buddy know the .30-06 barrel is "shot"?

How many rounds are on it?

Barrels are the same. .308 from a long action is a bad idea. Don't let your buddy do that...if he wants lower recoil, go to 6.5 Swede.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Call me crazy here, but why cobble together a short action caliber on a long action by screwing in a .308 barrel when instead you could do something wild and crazy, i.e. screw in a new .30-06 barrel?
    I know, I know, nutty idea.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A lot of shooters barrel 308 on a long action to accommodate long loads that wont fit in a short action mag. So nothing wrong with doing it.
    Just a side note, I have the tooling and can re barrel this for him if he decides to do something. Also I have a practically new 300WM take off barrel if he wants a little more thump.

WhyLighter338

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for all the help. When I had found barrels they had long or short action designations so I wasn't sure they could be interchanged. It's being considered a "shot" barrel due to the fact it's keyholing on paper at 100 with everything it has been fed.

Top Bottom