• ...and so much more!
  • Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I have a old police S&W Model 10-10 revolver. It is well used but shoots OK. It has more cylinder rotational slop at lockup than I would like. I am thinking of replacing the cylinder stop with a new standard stop mostly just for the experience of doing it and seeing what I can learn. Any advice or cautions before I start?
    Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've encountered this problem sometimes on hand ejectors, the ancestors of your Model 10, and every time it was solved with disassembly and cleaning as the cylinder stop just wasn't getting far enough up into the slot. There's internet videos out there that will walk you through this project, best of luck.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    As what Leadeye said, a good deep cleaning might be in order. You may have old powder and gunked up oil slowing things down in the action. Popping the side plate off and doing a detail cleaning job will be faster and easier than fitting a new stop. Does wonders to old revolvers.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I completed the detail strip/clean/lube. I don't think it had ever been done before. Amazing how much smoother it is, especially in DA. Unfortunately it didn't help the cylinder rotational movement. Looking at wear points on the cylinder stop I think there have been a lot of rounds through the gun. I think I will proceed with replacing the stop with a standard one and see how much that helps. If that doesn't do it I'll try fitting an oversize stop. Thanks for your help so far.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Go to TinyPic.com TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Click the "Choose File" button and then click on the photo to be uploaded.
    Then click the upload now button.
    Photo will upload and a "Share this image" will pop up on the left side of the screen.
    Click the second option down, it says "Code for forums and message boards". Ater you click it and it's highlighted, right click it and copy it.
    Then go to the INGO thread that you wish to post the image.
    In the options on the INGO page, click the icon that looks like the globe with a chain link.
    When you click that, a new window will pop up that says LINK.
    You click on the space available, then paste the picture there. Click OK and the picture will appear in your post.

Mt Rainier from the window of a Southwest flight going to Seattle.
    http://[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/ics710.jpg[/IMG]

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Replaced the cylinder stop with a stock new one. Made a big improvement. Reduced slop at lockup by about 2/3rds and is now very acceptable. Was amazed how little measurable wear caused so much slop. New one was only about .003" thicker where entered cylinder and frame window.

New Stop

http://

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The pics are fine either way IMO.

I'd like to know where you got your parts. I have a 1978 Uberti Cattlemen .22 wmr I'd like to tweak.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    The pics are fine either way IMO.

I'd like to know where you got your parts. I have a 1978 Uberti Cattlemen .22 wmr I'd like to tweak.

I got them at Midway USA. They do list some Uberti parts. They also had the cylinder stop listed at Brownells but they were on backorder.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have some side to side play in the bolt. It seems to fit the cylinder OK. There's also a little play in the base pin. Midway does show some parts. I've checked Numrich. Time to check Brownells. Thanks.

Top Bottom