• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I have a Mauser and a Savage 110 that have been sitting around, chambered for rounds I'll never use. So I decided I was going to just remove the barrels myself and have someone rebarrel them for more common calibers. Well they're still attached and I'm here, having run out of ideas and makeshift tools.

Anyone know a gunsmith in the Indy area who would be willing to just remove some barrels? And how much should I expect to pay for work like that?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why are you making removing the barrel into a separate job from installing the new barrel? This is surely the most expensive way to go.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    As a gunsmith that does this, I do not work on other people's incomplete projects. Merely due to the fact that it opens me up for liability not knowing your skill set. Stop now, and have someone qualified do it,and you will save money in the long run.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Listen to Squirt.
    The barrel removal process on the Savage especially is very easy for a well-equipped 'smith, as is installation.
    Were I you, I'd give him a call and see what he'd ask for a rebarrel job.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Twisting them out is no big deal. Make a set of hardwood vise jaws for the Mauser action and clamp the action in a vise with a stout piece of metal in the magazine slot. Grab the junk barrel with a pipe wrench and twist.

The Savage actually has a lock nut. Get the right wrench, I think there are still only two. Clamp the barrel in the vice and turn the wrench. The barrel is easy to unscrew once you loosen the lock nut.

Fitting the new barrel is a bigger deal. The Savage can be precut and adjusted with that locknut system. You need to be pretty good and have proper head space gauges. The Mauser is a lot more tricky, needing to be threaded, rough chamber reamed, installed and the chamber finish reamed. If you over cut, you have to remove the barrel, recut the shoulder, reinstall and try to finish ream it properly. Again, good head space gauges are needed.

If you are not set up, the best answer is above. Find a 'smith that is willing to do it, drop off the rifle with instructions of the barrel you want installed, and wait for him to call when it is done. He already owns all the proper tooling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom