• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I'm thinking about either having this done to my 1911 or doing it myself. To those who have done this mod, any tips?

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I cut the disconnector raceways in the 1911/2011s I build with the Marvel cut. I use a milling machine and cut the slot deep enough at the breach face that the disconnector head is gently cammed downward. A 5-degree, or so, angle is good. Too low and you run the risk of extending the slot back too far. Not enough angle will begin to negate the benefits of the cut. Also make sure that cutting along the path of travel that the disconnector actually takes. Disconnectors do not always ride straight down the center of the raceway. A little blue magic marker and a few cycles of the slide will give you a good indication of where the cut need to be located. Another good tip is to not make the cut too wide and leave very little material at the edge of the breach face where is meets the raceway. You can always file the head of your disconnector with a flat on each side to make the head of the disconnector thinner in width.

Andy Cree

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Thanks Cree! The "5 degrees" and the tip with the blue marker were both very helpful! I appreciate it!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I can help with this also if you want. Looks like we are close. I have done several. It is a nice upgrade

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I've heard people say that it only is a factor when the first round is being chambered, and that when you are holding the trigger down and the slide comes back that there isn't any friction but when I checked mine it does still catch, though not as much. This is what really motivated me to want to do this modification. I'm planning on looking at it this evening and polishing the feed ramp while I'm at it. If I have any questions I'll definitely check with you all. I appreciate the offers to help and the tips!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I was able to make this modification yesterday. It went pretty smoothly, I just took my time and it turned out perfectly! It's so smooth now it's incredible! Looking forward to actually shooting it and see how it performs and see if I can see a difference or not. But it turned out great. I appreciate the help!

Top Bottom