Best way to take the pain out of aggressive checkering??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have a new pistol with very aggressive checkering, with a good hard grip the bite into the fingers of my right hand hurts.

I can sand or file or whatever to fix the issue, but figured I would ask about best technique before I start taking off metal.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Unless it is chambered in an abusive cartridge, I would shoot the pistol more.

-Nate

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I have a lot of the fast fit mechanix gloves. a large fits me but the medium is snugger and gives me a very good bite and grip as well as feel. They are just thick enough to take the sting out and cut the wind off the skin. very good for the inexpensive investment. Can be found on amazon for 10 ish bucks a pair.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    IF i were going to take down some checkering, I would use 1000grit and just knock the tops off, try the grip, rinse and repeat until I achieved the feel I was looking to get.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    As stated above, finer grade sandpaper in a "shoe-shine" motion and go slow and check your progress often. You can check your progress by raking some light back and forth over the checkering to catch the top surface of the newly dulled points. Shoot for evenly dulled points.

Andy Cree

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I assume new grips are available for this, as the look to be removable. Therefore, sanding them down wouldn't severely impact the resale value of the gun.

Another option would be a rubber-like cover (e.g. Talon grips) if they are available.

It's ironic the to read all the "no!" responses, yet if your wanted to stipple it, "yes!!!!" Now there's something that can never be undone.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IF i were going to take down some checkering, I would use 1000grit and just knock the tops off, try the grip, rinse and repeat until I achieved the feel I was looking to get.

ok... What the heck is 1000 grit sandpaper? I think silk panties are coarser.

I would start with a belt sander... no need to make this an all-day project.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's ironic the to read all the "no!" responses, yet if your wanted to stipple it, "yes!!!!" Now there's something that can never be undone.

Not a contradiction/irony if you look it at from the perspective of more grip is always better, especially for a race gun. I've yet to see anything "too" aggressive, incl the PT 2011 grips out now. Get through a couple weeks of blood/blisters and it'll all be good. been there! :)

ok... What the heck is 1000 grit sandpaper? I think silk panties are coarser.

I would start with a belt sander... no need to make this an all-day project.

Finest sandcloth I have is 600. 1k + is available. 200-400 would be adequate for this task unless wanting to get a mirror polish on the new blunt ends.

:twocents:

-rvb

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The 1000 grit will remove an extremely small amount, which is what you want. Just the peaks that are hurting, and it will leave a lot of grip. Sand, check, sand, check. As you are getting more comfortable to the grip that you are desiring, sand less and check more often. You can always take more off.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Psshhh...

3M has microabrasive paper down to 0.5 micron. That's roughly (smoothly?) 60,000 grit.

I have 60 through 2,000 grit on hand all the time, and have a set of 3M papers from about 1,000 grit through 60,000.

Handy for certain things.

-Nate

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Psshhh...

3M has microabrasive paper down to 0.5 micron. That's roughly (smoothly?) 60,000 grit.

I have 60 through 2,000 grit on hand all the time, and have a set of 3M papers from about 1,000 grit through 60,000.

Handy for certain things.

-Nate
    I'm guessing that's for stuff other than woodworking.

You learn something new everyday...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A co worker has a custom .45 that was built by a major name custom gunsmith in the 1970's. The front of the grip has patterned punch marks that were punched at an angle. They looked like and felt like the teeth of a cobbler rasp. Those teeth were so sharp you HAD to wear gloves, and they would grind the fingers out of your gloves. I would not hesitate to grind down any "features" on a handgun that got in the way of use. I am kind of a function first man, pretty is not pretty if it does not work.

Any finish other than stainless will have the complication of the base metal showing through the finish.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    As a custom 1911/2011 pistolsmith, I keep a good supply of wet/dry paper all the way up to 2000-grit. From there I use polishing compound. I also use a lot of the same paper for woodworking - not for use on the wood per se, but for cleaning up tooling, and sharpening.

Andy Cree

Top Bottom