• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    My most prized gun is a Range Officer 9mm. I know it is nothing special to alot of you, but it was a gift from my wife with part of her inheritance after her Dad passed. It is a safe queen other than trips to the range, too much sentimental value to me to consider carrying it. I have been thinking about what I could do to the gun, but dont want anything batcr@p crazy. Just upgrades done to make it stand out a little from the crowd, and a tune up by someone who knows what they are doing. This is the only 1911 I have and dont want to turn it into a hack job, but dont really know much about mods to it. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. This isnt something that will be done soon, as I gotta save up the pennies once I have a better idea what I will have done. I have something in mind to have engraved on the front strap, but dont know if that can be done since it is not flat.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My opinion...leave it alone, shoot it more often and cherish it and you wonderful wife for such a gift, how ever,should you need to customize it.....only work over parts you have replaced,so you can ret8it to stock

My most loved gun is a $45 marlin,I can't hit the broad side of a barn with.......a long time friend left it to me........I own Anschutz and a Walther, but still puppy's old marlin is my favorite....

My 2 pennys

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Trigger work and some mild machining to the slide, 45 cut the corners on the rear sight and tasteful 2 tone would be nice.
    Just thinking out load, but it would make it unique without wild

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Allen has done (and will do more) machine work to the slides on my 1911's. It really makes them stand out.
    A sweet trigger and maybe some stainless controls if the machine work is outside your budget. The controls/safety's will need to be fit up to your gun. Seldom if ever drop in.
    Nice grip panels are always a nice upgrade and the choices are near endless for your gun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    In for one more vote to leave it the Eff alone. Later, you'll wish you had.

But 100% agree...if you HAVE to screw with a good thing, then make sure that you keep the original parts original. Only exceptions I'd make are a hand fit barrel and bushing, which aside from the shooting, are virtually indistinguishable, if done the way you want.

-Nate

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I am far from an expert but I am all for doing some custom work to a gun you will never sell. I have a 9mm RO Champion and I plan on having some work done one of these days. It is a gun that I plan on passing on to one of my children. From what I have seen on this forum, AllenM and Churchmouse are 1911 opinions I would trust.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Trigger work and some mild machining to the slide, 45 cut the corners on the rear sight and tasteful 2 tone would be nice.

Yup. Allen put some new sights on mine, worked the trigger a little and once replaced a buggered up extractor for me. I love that pistol.

I have a pair of VZ Gatorback grips on it which helps the grip(duh!) and looks pretty good too.

I like it so much that one day in the future I may make it my EDC. I certainly shoot it better than anything else I own(including my new CZC 75B)with the exception of my 586.

Iv'e thought about asking Allen to tighten the slide but it is so dependable, I'd hate for it malfunction because it got dirty and the close tolerances made it a little finicky.

Besides, it still out shoots me!:)

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Thanks for the replies, if I thought I would ever sell it I would leave it alone. I am not selling it, so the boy can do what he wants with it after I am gone, lol.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not a 1911 guy, but do have several never-sell/inherited firearms, so I can relate to that part of it. The only modifications I've made (and its only been a few) have basically been mechanical. My forebears would unanimously support making the firearm function better.

On the aesthetic side, I'd be open to doing something to the guns that I think they would have enjoyed. If I were you, I'd definitely contact AllenM on the specifics, and the engraving. If anyone can accomplish what you want, it would be him.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck

That sounds good, not sure about the two tone though. I guess I am weird about colors, I dont like FDE, but had my M&P 9C done burnt bronze with black controls and color fill. And although the slide didnt hold up to the caveman sight change a guy did, I love the look, go figure. I will get in touch with you when I decide what I want, if you are interested. BTW, the rear sight is kinda like a sail on there, isnt it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In for one more vote to leave it the Eff alone. Later, you'll wish you had.

But 100% agree...if you HAVE to screw with a good thing, then make sure that you keep the original parts original. Only exceptions I'd make are a hand fit barrel and bushing, which aside from the shooting, are virtually indistinguishable, if done the way you want.

-Nate

I have done the back to back tests with folks that feel as you do. There out of the box 1911 and any one of mine. To the man the smiles could not be measured.
    None of the ignition control mods require modifying the slide/frame unless you really get deep into the the piece. The Out of the box bits can be put back into the gun and then sold as original because it is.
    Standard upgrades...Ignition controls/barrel bush possibly grips. Best things you can do. I usually do a mag well as I am a fumble butt on a mag change. Any and all help is good.
    Bling additions are next and that is to personal taste.
    Now if you intend selling the gun yes you might not break even. Just as with any hot rod there is a gamble on how much you invest.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

This was my thinking with the R.O. EXCEPT I'd put the RO sights in the box and get a good pair of Trijicons for it.
    The 2 tone is a great suggestion, the trigger work is a no brainer.
    The R.O. is a good gun out of the box and with a bit of AllenM love it will be a great gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1911 that you are never going to sell. Get that thing to Allen or the Mouse. Save your pennies and build your dream gun.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That sounds good, not sure about the two tone though. I guess I am weird about colors, I dont like FDE, but had my M&P 9C done burnt bronze with black controls and color fill. And although the slide didnt hold up to the caveman sight change a guy did, I love the look, go figure. I will get in touch with you when I decide what I want, if you are interested. BTW, the rear sight is kinda like a sail on there, isnt it.

Colors along with aout any modification are personal preference. Sometimes people just give rough guidelines and let me "do whatever" if they are not sure what they want.
    Some are very specific.
    I did custom paint work on cars for several years a long time ago, It helped me to really listen to what the customer wanted and to try to do that and not just what I thought would look good. I try to do the same with any custom work

Rear sight = Billboard

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots of things that could be done to improve that pistol. Starting with sending it to a good 1911 smith for a set of EGW ignition components, some tuning and then slap on a new set of grips. That would make a nice, bare bones keeper that would not break the bank. Then, later on, you could upgrade the sights, have some machine work done and get a nice Cerakote job done on it if you want. Maybe even have the front strap checkered to truly make it your own.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    It has been mentioned many times on INGO: You should never use a treasured gun as an EDC. If you ever have to use it, the LE people will have to seize it as evidence and you may never see it again.

As far as modifications: a trigger job and quit right there.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    The gun has never been carried and never will be. Making cosmetic changes will be done so the Boss knows how much her and her gift mean to me. And while the Springfield finish is ok for a work gun, its nothing special either. My end goal is to have a gun will sit proudly on the shelf, and still be able to wheel the Boss to the range in her chair and shoot the barrel outta it together. As I have started looking into doing this more this week, I am liking a midnight blue and black color scheme. I am thinking trigger job and maybe grips will be the first things, color will be after any machining,so no rush on it. But time will tell.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The gun has never been carried and never will be. Making cosmetic changes will be done so the Boss knows how much her and her gift mean to me. And while the Springfield finish is ok for a work gun, its nothing special either. My end goal is to have a gun will sit proudly on the shelf, and still be able to wheel the Boss to the range in her chair and shoot the barrel outta it together. As I have started looking into doing this more this week, I am liking a midnight blue and black color scheme. I am thinking trigger job and maybe grips will be the first things, color will be after any machining,so no rush on it. But time will tell.

Build it!!!!!

Here is my 15th wedding anniversary present from my wife. Both ChurchMouse and AllenM have been inside this gun and both have contributed parts. No cosmetic or finish changes as I want to preserve the lettering. The gun does not get carried but I do shoot it in monthly USPSA and steel challenge at the club. It is not a safe queen because my wife bought it for me to shoot.

IMG_0040_zpsx6gfdo9h.jpg

My wife's ChurchMouse tuned Smith. Both of these guns are in 9mm.

photo_zps7527098e.jpg

Top Bottom