• ...and so much more!
  • Vespasianus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Columbus
    Hi all!

New INGO member here, 1st post besides my "Hello" post.

I'll be back in Indiana within two weeks, temporarily at my parents place. They've been storing our family heirloom musket, leather shot pouch, and powder horn; it goes back the early settlers in the 1830-40s in Parke County. The ensemble was displayed (without being touched or, alas, maintained) above my grandmother's fireplace for decades. That said, it wasn't in the best shape ... some rust, some inexplicable white spotting (calcium from deteriorating brick & mortar, perhaps?), the leather was dry & cracking ... when she passed in '12 I didn't have time to clean it up appropriately, so I packed it up as best I could for storage.

Over this summer I'd like to get it into the hands of a skilled preservationist with the idea of getting it cleaned up and then into a display case for long-term preservation. Does anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith or preservationist skilled in cleaning up and preserving antiques like this (including the leather pouch & powder horn)?

Thanks in advance!

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I would call Springfield leather (1-800-668-8518) They can either sell you high quality leather cleaning/conditioning products, or will likely have the contacts for someone you can send it to. Hope that helps.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    There is an excellent museum in Louisville, KY, now called the "Frazier History Museum". It has an extensive collection of black powder arms (all kinds of cool stuff).

They do research and appraisals on items from the public and I am sure they could direct you to someone who will not destroy your heriloom.

Object Donation/Appraisal Requests ? Frazier History Museum
    [h=3]Research Requests:[/h]The Curatorial staff is available to answer inquiries about arms and armor, militaria and related material. Staff members cannot undertake extensive research, but will, within reasonable limits, provide information about artifacts when our knowledge and resources permit. Please anticipate a minimum turnaround time of two weeks for a research request.
    If you would like to meet with a member of the Curatorial staff in person, you must make an appointment in advance. Appointments are available Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    To submit a research inquiry or arrange an appointment, call (502) 753-5671 or email Curator of Collections Zachary Distel at zdistel@fraziermuseum.org.

Vespasianus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Columbus
    I would call Springfield leather (1-800-668-8518) They can either sell you high quality leather cleaning/conditioning products, or will likely have the contacts for someone you can send it to. Hope that helps.

A quick google search of who they are shows they'll be a great contact for the leather shot pouch; thanks!

Both of the museums mentioned will also be valuable in learning about pro preservationists, and perhaps gathering a bit more info on the musket itself. It has no engravings (manufacturer, serial #, etc.), so perhaps they'll be able to link me up with an expert who can have a better sense of where/when it was produced. According to records, the ancestor that family oral history says the musket came down from came to Parke County from eastern Ohio prior to the 1840 census. It'd be nice to know whether the musket came from further east or was produced in-state.

All are great contacts; thanks!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lexol is what I use on vintage leather...My shop has quite a few vintage firearms going back to the late 18th century...If you could post some ics I can tell you what "school" of gunmakers made it if it is a half stock or a Kentucky style rifle...If it's a trade musket I can narrow it down some as well...I need a good pic of the lock sideplate, the butt stock, and a full length side profile...Micrometer the bore and that can narrow down time frame a bit on the rifle...

Do nothing to the horn other than wipe off with a soft cloth, Lexol the leather to prevent further cracking...Oil the metal with a thick oil (think knife sharpening oil) and Murphy's wood soap used GENTLY on the stock will not effect value or stock...It will not take off the patina but will take off the grime, dust, and muck of the last 100 years...GENTLY with a soft cloth...

Did I mention do all of this gently????

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is an excellent museum in Louisville, KY, now called the "Frazier History Museum". It has an extensive collection of black powder arms (all kinds of cool stuff).

I worked for them as an interpreter the two years they were open...Great place...It was fun when Owsley was still alive...He would hang out with myself and Ralph Heath while we were in our British Indian Agent and Native garb as we would greet tourists and school kids coming in.....The security guys used to joke with me and Ralph that they could not carry so much as mace or a nightstick but Ralph and I would be there with tomahawks, swords, knives, long rifles, muskets and war clubs.....

Plus taking a cigarette break in downtown Louisville dressed as such leaning on a musket always got a few of the lunch crowd heads to turn...:)

Last edited:

Vespasianus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Columbus
    indiucky, I'm just now getting back up on INGO as I settle in, so I apologize for not responding sooner. That sounds like very good advice! It turns out that my parents passed the musket etc. on to my cousin who still lives near Parke County, but she's admitted that she just has it stored away as given to her and is willing to pass it back to me. I'm going to pick it up next time I have reason to go nearby, and I'll go about GENTLY cleaning / preserving as you mention ... and I'll take photos to send your way for help in identification. I look forward to more conversation over it all!

Top Bottom